or Connect

Posts by karne

As a family who went from a small, private, very alternative, crunchy school to the local public school, I can understand a little of the anxiety and bias about ps.  I had assumed small, etc. was exactly what my oldest needed, and the reality was that she thrived in the larger ps setting.  On top of that, as a parent, I could understand the curriculum, it made sense, there was a clear progression, qualified teachers, and accountability.  In the private school the...
Subject acceleration has worked well for us-currently ds is on track to complete 2, possibly 3  years above grade level in math.  What is really working out though is using some on line resources, as well as having the opportunity to go "deeper" into some math concepts-have some fum, explore, be challenged.  He also does some enrichment above grade level in terms of building, design, thinking creatively.  It took a while to get here, but not meeting those needs for...
American Eagle has a kids line called 77kids which might be worth a look.  Hollister and Abercrombie kids tend to run small and skinny, so if you can stomach those brands, you might look there.  I see basically 10 y/o's shopping in Aeropostale, so I'm guessing your dd could fit there.
If he misses enough school, or is late enough times, the question about what happens in your home in the morning is going to be posed to you by the school.  If you know that he isn't getting up, is starting to become chronically late, or has absences due to this issue, the ultimate responsibility is going to fall on the parents, who are responsible for the children in their home.  It doesn't seem like the situation is really there, but just pointing out that saying that...
It's in your dd's best interest to have some good male friendships-the teen (and pre-teen) girl stuff can be intense, so having guy friends is helpful.  I would scope out the social situation as much as you can-however you can do this, and make sure that having someone over one on one isn't going to be an issue.  That said, my dd has guy friends she would hang out with at our house just fine, until the teen years started and that became a more loaded situation.  But, at...
This is a special place, indeed.  Thank you.
My son just asked me AGAIN about this! I was holding off for the new version, so I guess I'll have to take a look.
I'd be interested to know if there is a real life community aspect to MC.  My kids love it, as do many of their friends.  It's really huge in terms of the amount of time you can spend researching, watching youtube videos, creating, etc.  I like it a lot, esp. for one of my kids who loves to build, but the time suck is starting to be an issue.  I am not one to impose limits, usually, esp. at this age, but honestly, we're getting close.
It's actually not that unusual at this age. Stay calm if you can, and try not to over react Kids are very curious at this age.
It would be super interesting to see this discussion in the teen forum......maybe I'll raise it there.  We didn't do 2 pieces when dd was young.  As a preteen she did one pieces, tankini's, rash guards, and full body surf suits.  As a teen she has taken a pretty strong stand about wanting to wear bikini's this summer.  I think it has everything to do with becoming aware of herself, the fact that she can wear them well, and she is enjoying this particular part of her life...