or Connect

Posts by karne

Could folks also post websites for parenting teens, or for teens themselves?  I would find that really helpful.
Some of our ideas:  eggs-hard boiled, scrambled with cheese or deviled.  We have hens, so this is a pretty easy snack for us.  Tortillas with beans, salsa, cheese, and anything else that works, such as left over chicken, ground beef, etc.  I just throw them in the oven.  If I make popcorn, I find it is far more filling if I use coconut oil as the oil.  Whole wheat noodles with peanut sauce-you can add any steamed veggies to these.  Whole wheat waffles made into a...
Thanks for posting this!  Can we make it a sticky when it's complete, or don't we do that anymore?   A while ago there were some great suggestions for books on sexuality, etc.,,,,would be great to see some of those posted here.   A very dated book that I liked is "Get Out of My Life, But First Could You Drive Me and Cheryl to the Mall?" (think I have that right).  I initially couldn't get past some of the references to how kids "used to be disciplined" (not the...
I'm glad for your dd that you got the pants, and gifted her with a new top to go with them.  My perspective is a little different than most of what I've read here.  Your dd is young.  Once the teen years hit, it happens that your kids don't necessarily want you to go with them, even shopping for something coveted!  I would relish the time you have to spend.  I also think that buying the orange pants shows her that you are moving to a place where you respect her choices,...
So far, my dd has grown an additional 2 1/2 inches since she started.  Her doctor thinks she could have 1-2 inches more to go before reaching full adult height.
Yes.  Even the car ride to the mall (and I hate malls), is worth it because, at least for us, the car is a great place to talk!  Time limited, the distraction of movement, being able to look straight ahead-oddly enough this all seems to promote conversation and connection.
Yes, mixed feelings on my part.  DD was 12 1/2, so pretty much as we expected.  She was great about it, and is so completely independent about it.  We didn't do cloth, etc., because she was incredibly uninterested in anything natural.  She's made her choices, and lets us know what supplies she wants.  Cramps and feeling lousy are an issue for her.   I mentioned on another thread that there is an ipod app that my dd uses to keep track of her cycle.  It's yet another...
I'm feeling concerned reading about the punishments.  Obviously, you'll handle this the way that works for your family, but my two cents is that it's starting to feel very restrictive, and frankly, I don't think you're going to come out winning here. I don't know your situation, but it seems like there should be some emphasis on connection, which is what you'll need to get through adolescence.  Yes, she is pushing limits, and she is young for it. The idea of counseling...
Nicely put!
Yes, I understand this, and misspoke.  However, the reality is that pediatricians are often the front line, but I also suggested a psych-pediatric, in particular.  In this situation, I would turn to my child's primary care physician if I had concerns about weight, weight loss, etc., because that would be monitored over time, lack of stature addressed, possible co-morbid factors discussed, etc.  A psych may do this as well, or refer back to the pedi. My experience is that...