or Connect

Posts by karne

I'm glad to read this part about the role of the pedi in managing add/adhd.  I personally find our pedi to be invaluable, and the first person I turned to with questions and when we needed support.  I never felt pushed for meds, even though that was exactly what was needed.  Yes to the full exams-absolutely, but my experience with our pediatrician was extremely helpful.  I also love that we can check in more informally about how things are going when we are there for...
There are a couple of things that come to mind.  First, you mention attention issues, and reading quickly, skimming, can be a piece of this.  One of my kids will speed read through books, get all of the main ideas (I know by her scores on the AR tests), but absolutely miss some details that frankly, can either be key to the material, or not, depending upon the book.  This isn't really to her advantage in school because middle school demands an attention to detail and her...
I'm curious, what's happening in the private school that meets the needs of your son?  Is he able to work at the grade level that matches his abilities?  I'd love to know how successful programs work.  We don't have a gifted program in our PS, although there is differentiation, and for some, subject or grade advancement.  So much depends upon the teacher though.
I think you're in the thick of it right now, and you're doing a good job of advocating.  Regarding testing, here at least, it's literally thousands of dollars, and not covered by insurance.  Testing via the school is helpful, and necessary for an IEP, but they won't, and shouldn't dx ADD/ADHD.  I would definitely go to your pediatrician.  It sounds like you need a useful dx asap to start getting your ds both the relief and help he needs in school.   I also want to...
DD just informed me that she's not into trick or treating anymore.  She wants a little candy, and then wants to watch a halloween movie with me.  Personally, I'm thrilled.  I'll take any chance to snuggle with my big kid these days!
Yes, and after a lot of angst prior to the beginning of the year, I feel like we are starting on a path that's working.  My child's teacher is a good advocate, and we have some differentiation/subject acceleration happening.  Is every bit of the day tailored expressly to my child's interests/needs?  No, but I'm not sure that we would find that anywhere except h'sing, which ds doesn't want.  Truly, the key has been the strength of the teacher, and the fact that socially...
I don't know if she did this to herself or not, but I would be looking at assault if someone actually did this to her, consent or not.  
If you sign up to receive e-mails from your favorite stores you will often receive some sort of discount, say 15-20% off of an initial purchase, on line.  Gap is constantly having 30-40% off sales, on line only.  I can only imagine that other stores do this as well.  It beats going to the mall, using gas, time, etc.   FWIW, our local thrift stores have gotten pricey enough that it almost feels like mainstream shopping.  And, my dd and her teen friends shop a lot of...
Absolutely.  I think this a place a lot of us get to in our journey.  
If the information is coming solely from your dd's, you may not have the full picture.  I can well imagine that a child that age would be able to help pack their own lunch, and also have some feelings about what went into their lunch.  There may be food/oral aversions that other families aren't aware of.  There may be reasons for what's happening that you just aren't privy to.  My guess is that the teacher is aware.  My children's elem school keeps a stash of fresh fruit...