or Connect

Posts by karne

But, truly, don't you think most of us here feel this way, or have acted this way?  I don't think a crappy mother posts on line asking for help/support, or looking for other's experiences.  It's not easy doing this.  I don't think blanket statements work in these situations-kid's are just too individual.  In one way, I can completely understand the idea that kids your dd's age should be responsible for themselves, and essentially act as adults.  Having a new teen, and...
I would do at least a phone check in, and I would expect that the other parents would be fine with you checking in.  It doesn't have to be a big deal, but it does make you a "presence" in some way, and I don't think that's a bad thing.  I have a younger teen and I am constantly amazed at how easily kids make plans without the parents being involved in any way.  At 16, the stakes are higher in terms of alcohol, driving, etc.   I also think it's possible to tell your...
First, I would also post in the SN forum, where I think you'll get some sage advice.  I'm thinking Linda on the Move or Emmeline, for starters, as resources for you.   Secondly, did you say if he has an IEP?  If so, can you call an IEP meeting immediately?  His needs are not being met.  I would be completely clear that at this point, going to school, managing the school day-this may be enough for now.
I think it's pretty normal for young teens to go through a phase where they are a little freaked out by sex/sexuality and their own emerging emotions.  In a way I think it's protective because they just may not be "there" yet in terms of either their comfort or understanding of what they're experiencing.  I think that if you are positive, non-shaming, and non-judgmental, you've left the door open for support and conversation...that's all good stuff for your dd.  Being...
Respectfully, the OP's son is 16, in high school, has complex relationships with his parents, birth parents and siblings, as well as peer relationships.........not sure that introducing the very adult concept and practice of polyamory is what he needs at this point in order to work through his interpersonal relationships.
I am sure you will receive other responses, but for me, there are so many, many places in your post that feel shaming, and frankly just make me really uncomfortable reading it.  There's an awful lot of judgement happening that feels purely like conjecture and again, judgement.  I wouldn't throw around the word "tragedy"--this isn't a tragedy.  It's a life experience, and maybe it will be tough, but it's not a tragedy.   I have more thoughts, but I am digesting the...
Does your school district offer any sort of summer enrichment programs?  That might be worth looking into.  I'd also check out what the libraries around you have to offer--lego clubs, chess clubs, summer reading programs, etc.  If you find a camp you're interested in, you could look into whether or not there are scholarship opportunities-although I would do this quickly as camps fill pretty fast.   Frankly, it sounds like your son is doing really well-happy,...
Are you upset because the teachers identified an area that they see as needing to be watched, or is it just the lack of information they provided?  On the surface it seems that they identified early admission based on cognitive development, but indicated that social/emotional development bears watching.  I don't find that all that unusual, either from a child development perspective, or from the perspective of a teacher.  Perhaps more information would be shared verbally...
We are looking at a flexible schedule for next year as well.  It was suggested by the school, and I feel incredibly fortunate for that!  I think it has the potential to work out really well if the child in question can be fine with a less "standard" schedule.
My kids have used Type To Learn with some fairly good success.  You can Google it, and purchase it for home.  However, I would ask the school if they have a typing program she could access, either during the school day, or after school.