or Connect

Posts by karne

You absolutely deserve support.  I don't imagine there is anyone here who hasn't had at least several moments of saying "I am not doing this.  I can't do it.  It is just beyond unfair, and I have nothing to give".  I know I have.  It is so, so hard to be in that place of anger and despair, and yes, sometimes fear.  But how good that you came here and said it.  We can't do this without support.  I am offering a virtual hug to you.  None of this is easy or fair.  Of course...
I also wouldn't over think the situation.  My dd has had many opposite sex friends, as has my son.  In fact, sometimes it can easier for them.  I think it's really healthy, and really important to have friends of the opposite sex.  Nine is really childhood, and it is very sweet, very young, and I would just support the friendship, while making sure your dd feels OK about it all.  Like any friendship, if it stops being OK, doesn't feel good, etc., then it's time to...
1 1/2 -2 inches so far.  My guess would be another inch or two before she's done.
Just a thought here, may or may not apply to you, OP.  I have found, often in retrospect, that when my now teen was at her clingiest, or most petulant, or what have you, that there was some big developmental piece happening, and she needed to regress a little before moving forward?  Does that make sense?  I find it even now.  For some kids, moving through the stages of pre and early adolescence goes on with minor bumps.  For others, it's not quite so smooth, and you do...
In addition to the above, excellent, resources, I would suggest involving either the school counselor or psychologist in some sort of a team meeting.  If your ds carries an official dx, and has an IEP for it, it is within your rights to request an IEP team meeting to discuss your concerns.  If your ds does not have an IEP, or 504, and has been dx with the conditions you describe, now would be the time to request an eval to begin the process, in writing.   You...
Our experience was that differentiation didn't work-it just wasn't enough, and ended up being frustrating.  One grade level acceleration, has helped, for now, but like moth kids in this boat, there could be more radical acceleration.  We are waiting on this for now.
We have a semi attractive option of a math/science based public charter.  I say semi-attractive because there are two sides to the coin.  First, if you have a serious math/science kid, it's a good option.  Grade acceleration only goes so far-some kids really require (and want) depth and focus, which just isn't found in our PS classrooms at this point.  It's great to have a place where being this type of kid is ok.  The downside is that there isn't enough money to keep...
I haven't voted, but I want to say that this feels to me like one of the "safe" places on MDC, where judgement and criticism are kept to a minimum.  I think when you start along the path of friends and family, the dynamic shifts, and some of what feels unsafe or unsupportive can creep in.   FWIW, there is a huge range here of what we consider SN.  I have often felt that perhaps I haven't been "qualified" to post here in relation to what other folks are dealing with....
Yes.....also learning when a response is needed, and when it isn't, has been very helpful.  Don't quite have it mastered, but I'm working on it.
I thinks it's wonderful that you posted here looking for support.  You have to do it.  No one can escape the feelings you're having.  It's completely normal.  The beginning, where you're at now, is so hard and so overwhelming.  There's no room for blame.  Just move forward, doing the best you can with what you know now and gather the support you need for yourself to be a loving and effective parent and advocate.