or Connect

Posts by karne

I read the link-it's very moving.  From my perspective, time is a great healer.  Becoming a mom has humbled me.  I also very much see that my parents are pulling inward as they age and experience some life changes.  I hang onto the times that we connected because life is very different now.  I don't need the big connection anymore.  It's more in my head--I want to be there, so I am.  There isn't a pull of huge connection right now to be truthful.  I have to use my own...
Did you mention if he has an IEP?  I'm guessing so, if he has repeated a grade, but perhaps not.  I would encourage you to back a little away from the dx part, and instead focus on getting a really good eval.  You can go the private route, but cost may be an issue.  I would ask for an eval, in writing, from the school to look at his overall functioning and skills.  They will not dx add/adhd/dyscalculia/etc.  They tend to work with umbrella dx such as specific learning...
Well, I was, now, not so much.......I guess that is the way it goes.  My challenge right now is staying above the emotional roller coaster, yet remaining empathetic. I do really believe that this is an interesting and rewarding age, but it is either really good, or really tough.  Not much in between these days. 
I agree w/the above posters.  For us, a subject acceleration as opposed to a full grade skip, is working for the time being.  Lots of factors went into the acceleration, but at the end of the day, differentiated homework, classwork, test scores, and maturity were the big considerations.  It has been a great move.   Hopefully you have some options in terms of the above.  I have to say that my child was not happy in school (aside from the social piece), and actually...
It's not that bad.  In fact, it can be pretty darn good if you are able to use humor, selective hearing, and lots of flexibility in your parenting!
I was re-reading your first post where you said that you don't want Kesha and candy to win--I totally get it.  But, they might, or they might for a little while, and then they won't be attractive anymore, and the next thing will come along.  We can't see every step our children take away from us as either a disaster in the making, or as a parenting failure.  Those steps are necessary....not fun, sometimes REALLY not fun, but necessary.   My experience is that the...
Sally Shaywitz's book is excellent, as is the Eides website, esp. if you have a learner who is gifted, and may have an LD.  This is actually quite common with dyslexia, and I have certainly seen it in our situation.   The above poster is correct-dyslexia, which is not a frequently used term anymore, or at least really tends to function as an umbrella term, is incredibly complex, and very often it is amenable to appropriate and early intervention.  This includes...
Thanks for the replies.  I should preface by saying that we have a very good, very loving relationship.  I don't have major concerns.  It's really the transition from being pretty open, to my dd being in a more private space, and my needing to find the good balance of being there, but not being intrusive and maintaining feelings of respect.  I think the not over-reacting is key.  I actually find that car rides, esp. after getting something to eat, are when I tend to hear...
So, I'm wondering, how do you decide when to ask questions, or try to have discussions with your teen, and when do you let things roll along, forgoing comment or question?  I had thought I was pretty good at gauging this, but I'm off my game here a bit.  I usually wait for dd to bring anything to me that she wants to discuss, and we do a lot of car discussions, which seems to work for her.  I try not to offer anything unless she really asks.  All of a sudden though,...
I have some experience here, and want to chime in and say that if you are doing tutoring for reading/language based issues, it is really imperative that this occur on a very set schedule, ideally every day, if you can make that happen.  My child was/is dyslexic and we had curative eurythmy, chanting Steiner verses, lit candles, painting, Brain Gym, etc.....on and on, all obviously not remotely helpful, and expensive to boot.  Solid reading tutoring, using a proven method...