or Connect

Posts by karne

Soooo, how did it go Linda?
The charting piece, in our family, is something that is important to my dd.  She likes to be prepared, and she is very active, with many afterschool and weekend commitments.  She likes to plan, have supplies to take with her, and not be caught unprepared.  I think it's great because it's giving her a sense of control, and making that piece of her life feel more manageable.  I have been completely surprised by the autonomy in this regard, but I think it's healthy, and I...
My dd told me that there is a free ap on the ipod touch for charting cycles.  It's a high tech version of keeping a calendar, I guess.  In our situation, it's great.  DD is very independent, and the ap works for her.
Congratulations....and I find this inspirational.  I have been home for almost as long as you, and I anticipate returning to the work force w/in the next year or two.  I know how fortunate I've been, and how precious the time is.  I hope your return is a good one for you.  I'll look forward to updates (please!) about how the transition is going!
If nothing else, the completely irrelevant and outdated post of Blue Jeans allows us to step up and support the gut instincts that we, as mothers, have about our children.  OP, there is never anything wrong with seeking an opinion, advice, or an eval if you are feeling concerned.  It's the right thing to do for your child.  We are so fortunate to have the resources available to our children at such a young age these days.   In my pediatric practice you can simply ask...
We had minimal after school bussing--one drop off, and you walked from there.  For me, it was about 1/2 an hour to walk home.  I did it most of the school year, 5 nights a week, in order to participate in sports.  Most kids I knew did the same.   If you can get a reliable schedule, maybe you could have your ds arrange a carpool.  Seems like he needs, and should be able to, come up with an advance schedule.  My middle schooler is responsible for communicating her...
My experience is w/dysgraphia, so hopefully it's still helpful.  We have used lots of devices-slant board, paper with raised lines and margins to give a "feel" for where to place the letters, as well as many pencil grips, and a weighted pencil.  One of my kids had years of OT.  Frankly, it has been time and maturity that has made the most difference.  We are moving onto keyboarding for my oldest, and I will move in that direction much sooner for my youngest.   While...
You could either start, or add to, a collection she already has, although that could get pricey with 10 items.  I'm just thinking that at that age my dd was into collecting model horses, so it would have been prohibitive to get 10.  But, maybe a small collection of something special.   Another idea might be a charm bracelet with a special charm that could be added onto, or 10 small charms.  Or, a necklace with 10 beads strung onto it.  A few quick thoughts!
We went through this w/my oldest this summer, regarding horror movies.  I hate the gory horror movies, and I know dd is sensitive to them.  However, it has been a huge, huge thing to do at sleepover parties, and parents seem to rent or obtain some seriously gory stuff for their kids with no problems.  On her own at the last party this summer, dd called to come home.  She was sick of the marathon of gore, and decided to come home.  If we had suggested to her that she limit...
My 9 y/o has the same size waist, and he can only comfortable wear Gap slims.  You might be able to get away with their skinny jeans, if your ds is into that look-they're pretty slim.  I have really good luck with the regular cut, slims, which tend to be pretty skinny as well.   I have found slims at The Children's Place as well, although for lasting wear I prefer Gap.  Sometimes when I'm just looking for "play" quality Gap jeans, I'll buy a lot of slims off of Ebay, but...