or Connect

Posts by karne

Quote: Originally Posted by RiverTam It's the melatonin. Vomiting, abdominal discomfort, and diarrhea are a known side effect of melatonin. It can trigger Crohn's disease. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mel...SECTION=safety (For the record, I've used melatonin and support the use of melatonin when needed. But some people have bad reactions to it, like any other drug or supplement. I don't think trying it makes anyone a bad mom.) I...
Quote: Originally Posted by Ellien C I was just looking at the Magic Cabin catalog this morning and I was like - WHO can spend $225.00 on gnome/fairy houses? You can find out pretty quickly by putting the stuff for sale on CL or ebay! Seriously, we could furnish a waldorf kindy with what we have, and so little of it was really necessary. We've kept a couple of sentimental pieces, or something we might consider heirloom quality...
OP, you would think you have a light eater compared to my preteen dd! I second everything the above poster said about her dd's food intake.
You may also want to consider outside testing, ie a neuro psych with educational testing. School testing can be infomative, but a full eval will give you more info. I've been fooling around w/this as well. Thought we would do the full eval this summer, but then convinced myself we didn't need to. Now, I think it's time to follow through. I want an eval that looks at my child's whole functioning, not just school functioning.
Just a tangential thought here, but I am shocked that anyone considers using food withholding as a lesson in kindy. Most kids really benefit from the nutrition that comes at snack time. In my own child's kindy class there were often a child or two who came without a nutrtious breakfast, so snack was very important. I fail to see how creating hungry kids makes "learners" in that situation. I think using food is wrong-and actually the whole exercise is wrong. I would be...
Your dd is pretty young. I would say that while philosohy/methodology is important, you are really going to want to be sure that the teacher is the right one for your child. Some of the nicest preschool/playschool programs I have seen have been in very modest environments, with modest "equipment", etc. The best feature was always the caring, loving staff who created a safe, special, homelike environment for the children. You can have the most high minded philosphy in...
Quote: Originally Posted by Linda on the move At some point, you may have to decide if your views on education are serving your child well. Agreed. We spent far too long going along with the "developmental" view that kids read when they are ready to. It was the worst approach possible, and I wanted to believe in it in the worst way! At some point we all have to look at our kids as whole people with their own needs. Anyway, coming back to...
As I am finding, there is truly a wide range in terms of what parents talk about with their children. Too bad-it seems like there was some missed opportunity for conversation there.
I'm having a hard time following your concerns here. Are you saying that you have a relationship with a friend you don't care for, and have criticism about her parenting choices, personality, child rearing, etc? I'm not clear why you made the choice to go to her home, with your child or children, under these circumstances? If you want to have some relationship, perhaps it would be better to meet at a more neutral location where the ground rules work for everyone? It...
I advise calm, calm, calm. Kids play with ideas, try out thoughts, etc. in the safety of secure relationships. I would encourage the friendship piece-this is my particular bug. I think boy/girl friendships are discoutraged, or at least not seen as OK in our area, anyway, and I think it's a real shame. Lots of feelings float around in preadolescence, although your child is pretty yopung. My guess is that she's trying out some language and ideas with you.