or Connect

Posts by callmemama

Help me decide what kind of bed to get for my 7yo! Ds recently decided that he wants his own bed (he's done with co-sleeping!). Our options are a full-size bed that we already have, a queen waterbed that's in storage, or we could buy a twin mattress to go on a frame we already have. He thinks he'd like the waterbed, but I worry about safety with the heating unit and everything. Has anyone heard if waterbeds are safe for children (I'm not referring to infants!)? I seem...
Check out Defeating Diabetes by Brenda Davis RD and Tom (I think) Barnard MD. Its very informative and has a few recipes (all vegan). We just made Brenda's Date Cookies (entirely sweetened by dates) with slight modifications to make them gluten-free ... oh yeah, we added some chocolate chips too.
Thanks everyone! He's doing great now! Let's see, it "hurt to pee" beginning on a Wednesday night. It got better Thursday night and Friday when he drank a whole bottle of organic cranberry blueberry juice each day! Then it got worse again on the weekend. Took him to the doctor for a urine test on Monday (they wouldn't let me bring a sample in). No UTI! When I told the doctor that he wouldn't be allowed to retract the foreskin at all and that I had instructed ds to hold the...
Ds is 7. He just woke up and said it hurt really bad to pee. He had to keep stopping the flow because it hurt. But he said he peed a "normal amt". It was little harder to pinpoint where it hurts. Last night he thought he had a cut on his penis because it hurt when there was pressure on it (probably mid-way up), but then he decided it hurt from the inside vs being an injury on the outside. Apparently it hurts there when he pees (the 1st time this was a problem was last...
Thanks, I needed that!
Just so you know I was calm and reassuring when ds told me it hurt really bad to pee right before he went to bed tonight, and that he was afraid it was going to hurt more tomorrow and what would happen if he couldn't pee at all? Now that he's asleep, I'm freaking out! Everything I've read here says as long as he can pee, everything's fine. But what if he can't?! Ok, I know (hope) I'm getting carried away here, but seriously, how quickly would I need to get him to a...
For those of us that weren't raised vegetarian, we've all eaten meat at some point in our lives! Even though my family consumes no meat, dairy, eggs, or animal by-products with the exception of honey (occasionally), I no longer claim to be vegan because of 1. the honey, 2. I will buy my hard-to-fit son leather shoes, and 3. I will treat my home for termites. But we use bug jars to catch and deposit our brown recluse spiders outdoors!
7.5yo ds has been vegan (ok, strict veg to be completely accurate!) since birth. Dh and I are too and we do not allow foods made from animals/animal products (with the exception of honey) in our home. Ds has never expressed a desire to eat animal products (when he was about 4, I remember him insisting that I ask if there was any dairy in some cookies he wanted to eat, and when we found out there was, he shunned them). After our homeschool Halloween party this year, I...
I'm drooling at the prospect of owning one, but alas, I don't. I'll be reading replies with interest. Do you know if they include new jars on the reconditioned blenders? We haven't eaten meat in years and I don't want those mad cow prions sticking to the blades.
One question I would ask (if you're planning to introduce cow's milk in your baby's diet) is whether your husband thinks human milk or the milk of another species is better suited to your child's needs!