or Connect

Posts by phatchristy

Yeah, I usually am pretty decent sleep wise during pregnancy, but I've had a couple of viruses back to back and this last one has been a doozy.  I've been sick for longer than a 3 week chunk.  And, the sleep has been bad!   Thanks for the information everybody, I'm going to do my best to read up more on some of it.  I had no clue that magnesium on it's own could aid in sleep...though I know it has muscle relaxant properties I've heard.   Glad to hear about the...
I had to move my prenatal appt again (being that I'm still pretty darn sick ) and I was discussing with her about how sleep I think is a big factor in why it's taking me so long to get over things.  Basically I'm getting only a few hour chunks of sleep at a time then waking up and unable to get back to sleep.  Then I wind up taking 1-2 naps during the day.     She suggested melatonin (possibly valerian root as well as we talked about how once I had taken it at the...
I once met someone a long while back whose baby had a hospital caused gbs infection in their baby....I believe they knew that because of the late onset of it in the baby.  I doubt they can really rule out that practices in the hospital that actually encourage GBS infections well.  Of course, many of us also lower babe's risk of infection by birthing outside of a hospital setting.    
 Ouch....I did that with my first.  I wasn't even wearing maternity clothes at the time (I'm known to just wear the XL t-shirt from DH etc.) and I was baking and I leaned in a little too close to the stove and OUCH I actually touched the edge of the pans I took out with my belly!  After a while it disappeared thankfully, but I felt so stupid!
These mws seem like they have a decent page on it.  In their state they must not be able to do IV ABX, in our state we can.  I think that is a factor to heavily consider.  They(click for page) talk about the three 'risk factors'....labor prior to 37 weeks of pregnancy, fever of 100.3 or higher, or prolonged rupture of membranes (>18 hours).
  How about the hibiclens wash?  Go do some research on it so you can get a feel.  In some countries that is what they do for GBS positive women.  The issue here is that if you transfer and have an unknown status they will give you abx OR give your baby abx when they are out.  For me I'd rather know then make decisions accordingly.     Chlorhexidine (Hibiclens) Protocol for Labor (from drmomma.org)Chlorhexidine vaginal wash at the onset of labor or at rupture of...
Hey, I'm pretty much right with you there, out of the last month and a half DH has been gone like 60% of the time travelling for work (that is of course after already working like 80 hours a week normally).  He was worried enough that he asked me to have family come stay with me.  I will say I think the stress from all that situation did not help in my physical situation right now.  When he's gone like this there's no 'consistency' it feels like in the household.  When I...
  Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but if your vaginal/anal flora is colonized with it it's mainly a risk if your water breaks significantly before birth and then some risk when baby is coming out and encountering the flora.     I've heard of some women doing a hibiclens (spelling) rinse if they were gbs positive once they went into labor to cleanse the area.   Generally though most homebirth midwives can give antibiotics during labor, however they do need time to...
  All this being said it is *so* important that you know the father's blood type.  I met a preggo woman a few years ago who had four unnecessary rhogam shots.  Her husband was negative, she'd never had one after the birth (as the babies were obviously negative too), however had the 28 week shots done all four times and they were completely unnecessary!  Her OB office never asked about her blood type, just told her she 'needed it'.  Yikes, huh?   For me, I chose the shot....
  OMG...hey, and I think it's definitely fine having ideals and plans for what you want to do.  When the kiddo arrives if there are some things that need adjusting you'll adjust.  All of us likely did that.  I tried the no TV thing here, it was fine EXCEPT DH drove me insane because he likes to watch sporting events.  So the constant complaining, etc. I just told him to get the darn thing back on (this was when I was like 8 months preggo with #2 and couldn't take it)....