or Connect

Posts by Pepe

Hello!  Anyone have experience with this?  I suspect my 8yo 3rd grader could have dysgraphia.  His teacher is not familiar with this condition.  If I want to have him tested, how should I proceed?  Get in touch with the district?  Look into a private evaluation?  Thanks in advance for any guidance on getting him assessed.  Any info on dysgraphia in particular would be most welcome.
Hello!  DS, 7, still wears a pull-up at night and has had maybe 2 dry nights since daytime toilet-learning around age 2.5.  We're eager to see what he/we can do about this.  Can anyone recommend a book of what to try--dietary changes, going without anything at night to see when he pees, waking him up to pee at night, etc.?  We would like a plan.  Of course, we know that this may be something that simply takes time for him to grow out of, and we're okay with that, but...
This summer, we want to address DS's nighttime peeing.  He is almost 8 and has never had a dry night.  I'm looking for a book or program or checklist of things to try, foods to remove, etc.  Can anyone with experience recommend a systematic way to explore this?  I don't know where to start.  Thanks in advance!
Any tips on volunteering abroad with a child?  DS, almost 8, is in Spanish immersion, and I'm thinking ahead and dreaming of a future service trip wherein we (1) use our Spanish and (2) volunteer for a few weeks during a summer (I'm a teacher).  For example, I would love to work in a school or orphanage.  We also love animals very much and would love to do something along those lines.  I appreciate hearing of any of your experiences or resources you are aware of.  Thank...
Thanks, everyone!  I appreciate the advice and kind thoughts
Hello!  I'm grateful to have summers off to enjoy with DS, who will be turning 8 toward the end of the summer.  I'd love to find a place (or places) to volunteer with him and would welcome suggestions.  We live in NE and would mostly use public transportation, ideally, though we'll have a car sometimes.   About DS:  His interests include soccer, chess, animals, Spanish, hiking, geography, and Legos. :)  He cares about animal rights and homelessness.  He's a little on...
Thank you, tracyamber.  
Hi there--To any of you with thyroid expertise: DS, now 7, was dxd with hypothyroidism at birth and took synthroid until he was 2 years old.  At that point, he took a vacation from synthroid and his levels were determined to be normal.  He stopped taking the meds and we have not seen an endocrinologist since then.   Lately he's been having some anger management issues and just generally feeling ultra-emotional.  I'm wondering if it could warrant a thyroid check. ...
I need some help in letting go of my negativity around DS's occasional poor behavior.  DH and I have a plan for addressing some of it, and what DS, 7, is doing/not doing is not really even the issue.  (He's mostly a sweet, normal kiddo who sometimes needs guidance.)  Instead, it's my (internalized) reactions to the less-than-stellar behavior: I need relief from punishing myself, hating myself, thinking I am a failure of a parent, and (the hardest to admit) my worry that...
Hello!  I'm looking for book recommendations--or even just some tips and techniques, if you have them!--regarding DS, 7, and learning to handle anger.  He's highly sensitive and very emotional, and we're looking for some guidance for helping him roll with disappointment, control his emotions about games and sports, and so forth.   We try to model being a good loser (or good winner), and we talk through disappointment from our own experiences, but we need to continue...