or Connect

Posts by Pepe

Thanks very much!  These are great ideas and starting points.
Hello!  I'd love to do a Habitat for Humanity-type service trip w/my 7yo.  We'd also like to do some occasional volunteering in our community.  Any thoughts/tips?  Ideally, we'd be able to do a volunteer family trip to a Spanish-speaking country...   I'd love to hear your experiences/suggestions.  Thanks in advance!
Hello!  I'd love to do a Habitat for Humanity-type service trip w/my 7yo DS.  We'd also like to do some occasional volunteering in our community.  Any thoughts/tips?  Ideally, we'd be able to do a volunteer family trip to a Spanish-speaking country...   I'd love to hear your experiences/suggestions.  Thanks in advance!
DS is 6, also an only, and we have tried to focus on how older friends were really patient with him when he was younger (true, fortunately!): letting him go first, letting him make choices, reading books that he wanted to read, and so on--the idea being that now it's his turn to be kind and patient to those who are younger.  We've tried to frame annoying/challenging behavior of younger kids as "Well, it's her job to test your limits because she is 3!"  to help him see...
DS is almost 7 and still wears a pull-up to bed due to wetting EVERY night (though there have been no problems during waking hours for years).  I want to explore whether there are any food triggers.  Can anyone recommend a book or resource? If you know of a connection between diet and bedwetting, which foods or ingredients are likely culprits?  If I wish to assess his (in)tolerance of a certain food, how do I go about it?--allergy tests, rotation diet, or some other...
DS is 6 (nearly 7) and going into 2nd grade.  As this is my first summer home with him, I am striving to be productive yet allow him some freedom and spontaneity.   How much are you "working" with your similar-age child(ren) in the summer?  Are you doing math workbooks, focusing on reading every day, etc., are you more of a free-time mindset, or somewhere in between?  What does your daily schedule look like?   DS is not a self-motivated kid when it comes to...
Well, I suspect it's motion sickness, at least--the last time we flew, DS threw up when the plane landed.  On our return trip a week later, he thought he would vomit again during the flight but did not do so until we pulled into our driveway and stopped the car.  He rarely throws up, and in this case, the common denominator seems to be that he got sick both times when the movement stopped.  He had never had any such travel discomfort before and has no problems riding in...
Same boat over here.  My DS started with sniffing everything, which has progressed to licking.  My husband did it, too, around that age :)  and he recalls quite vividly how his mom did NOT handle it well--and I think it's because she was more annoyed by it than genuinely concerned about germs.  I try to leave it alone, but I do tell DS there are times/places when it's not okay.
Thanks so very much for your thoughtful responses!  lmakcerka, it helps to hear your confession.  It IS hard not to measure--we as parents want some reassurance that we are doing well, and we want others to notice and appreciate the special things about our kids.  laohaire, your bullet points gave me quite a lot to think about.  Re: who is judging me: I was feeling a little "on display" in front of some houseguests we had (no fault of theirs--no evidence of judgment,...
I'm having trouble understanding my (internal) reaction to 6yo DS, who has never been an early milestone kiddo.  He does things at his own pace, whether it's riding a bike, learning to tie, warming up in a social situation, or anything else.  Intellectually, I am aware that it is important to allow him to be who he is; I acknowledge that life is not a race, it's not a competition, and I am already nostalgic for some aspects of his babyhood, so I should feel no rush for...