or Connect

Posts by Pepe

Happy b-day to your DD!   My DS, now 6, is an only child, too (as am I), and he is and was as you describe your DD.  He's got a 5-star imagination and can entertain himself for ages.  He also likes to play with others at times, but doesn't need that interaction constantly.  I suspect he's a balance of introvert and extrovert, which might factor in the equation.   It sounds like your daughter is content to play on her own.  You mention that she plays with others...
Hey all, I'm looking for some DVD recommendations to shake things up a bit (so to speak).  I run 3x a week and do strength 2x, but I am dragging and am on a plateau.  I'd like something I can do in the morning at home.  I'm not much of a yoga person, but would like something fun for toning and cardio that does not require much equipment--I have some 8lb dumbbells and that's about it..  Latin dance?  Maybe something that targets the glutes or abs.  Thanks for any ideas!  
...because mine are porous and my job is seeping in and poisoning the rest of my life.  I love my work, but it is intruding on my family and self--I need to learn how to preserve some energy, time, and creativity for my DH and DS, 6 (who needs a lot of support in school right now).  How much work do you bring home?  Do you try to accomplish most of it at the office/college?  How do you decide what your limits are?  Do you feel comfortable citing childcare or family...
OP, sounds like you are starting an amazing journey.   What if you began by engaging both your need for frivolity and your need for structure by implementing something scheduled, yet light-hearted--like, a monthly mamas' night out the second Saturday of the month (or friends Sunday hike, or neighbor movie night, or monthly brunch, or date night, or whatever suits you)?  That way, you can't let it slide because it is in your schedule, but you won't feel like you're...
Hi, OP.  I think the PP asks some very good questions.  Can you tell us more about why you're concerned about the impact this will have on your little one?  Are you thinking about what she'll notice when you say goodbye to someone else or how you'll handle goodbyes to her?   I am very easily moved, in general, and am also a person of emotional goodbyes.  I've found that talking with my DS, 6, about what I am feeling is a tremendous help for his understanding.  For...
What a great post--and what a wonderful attitude you have, OP.   My high-needs, never-sleep baby is now a lovely 6yo boy who has many of the traits that attachment parenting is meant to nurture.  He is sweet, easygoing, and very sensitive to the feelings of others.  He can still be quite a stubborn little person at times, but he has a very mild personality and is very securely attached to us (DH and me).   Hang in there!   Edited to add: To be clear: I'm not...
OP, I could have written your post--including the part about your child being sandwiched in between two losses (and please accept my heartfelt sympathy for yours) and the impact that has on how you parent.  I have found therapy tremendously helpful for such concerns and lack of confidence.    Something that I try to keep in mind is that temperament is a major factor in how children "turn out."  I am an only child and I have an only child, so it is not as obvious to...
Hey there--seeking something long and compelling to read aloud with DS, 6 (who does typically like books intended for older kiddos).  Along these lines, we have thus far enjoyed most of the Harry Potter series, The Red Pyramid, The Spiderwick Chronicles, some Roald Dahl...for information on interests, DS likes things such as Star Wars (though I don't find it very riveting), pirates, geography, ninjas, animals, soccer, war (though again, not my thing), Martin Luther King,...
Hi all--My 69.5-yo mother was informed at a recent eye appointment that she has the beginning of macular degeneration.  I'm wondering about diet and vitamin recommendations, such as omega fatty acids and sources of antioxidants.  Thanks for any advice or recommendations.  
You and your family are in my thoughts.  I wish you the best in finding peace.