or Connect

Posts by Pepe

Please coach me on how to proceed.  Ds's teacher mentioned in an email that she is concerned about his trouble focusing in class.  She says he seems to zone out during whole-group instruction and thus doesn't know what to do during the independent work.  What should I ask her next?  What should I think about re: diet, sleep, strategies, etc?  I tried to ask him about it, but he clammed up.  Please advise!  
Thanks, pianojazzgirl and Tjej.   Tjej--that is a very perceptive (and kindly worded! :) ) query!  I am something of a perfectionist, as it happens, as is the friend I mentioned.  We are both making an effort to expect less of ourselves, and part of the conversation that sparked this quest for book advice was our mutual desire to help our sons develop a healthier and more realistic approach to...well, everything.  With the boys in question, we praise effort, we talk...
Can anyone recommend a book about social/emotional development in 6- and 7-year-olds?  I was chatting with a mama friend yesterday about our kiddos, my DS, who turned 6 a couple of months ago, and her DS, who will be 7 in a couple of weeks.  We discovered they are both: easily frustrated--can be sidelined by homework or recreation frustration and give up easily very hard on themselves if they don't "get it" immediately somewhat fragile in terms of self-esteem and...
Thank you very much for the replies.  You have all helped me enormously.   So far, this year's teacher seems more flexible, more open to different learning styles, and just more aware of kids' limitations than the kinder teacher was, and I think that will help me chill out and allow DS time to get interested and move along at something closer to his own pace.  I also appreciated all the ideas for encouraging him and slipping opportunities in on the sly to make things...
What an interesting thread--though I am sorry this is so frustrating and difficult for you, OP.  I haven't experienced anything quite as extreme as what you describe, but in a similar issue, DH and I did recently decide to discontinue our new friendship with a family in the neighborhood because of their reactions to our DS, now 6.  He's not even THAT much of a rough-and-tumble kid, but the way they reacted to him and the way they "handled" him around their daughter was...
Does anyone have experience with such a kiddo?  DS is 6 and is in what I hope is a phase and not a permanent approach to life.  He seems to have some real barriers to TRYING to learn or do something, whether it's riding a bike, tying shoes, or practicing reading.  He's been reading since last November but he hates practicing, and we find it important to practice at home for the obvious reasons and because he's in a dual immersion program and we need to keep up the...
My (newly) 6yo has a permanent tooth about 1/3 of the way in just behind his yet-to-vacate bottom front baby tooth.  The baby tooth is not loose yet.  Is this any cause for concern?  
Greetings!  For numerous reasons, I want to make sure DS stays on track this summer.  Can anyone recommend any websites for K/1st grade math, reading, etc.?  He can read at a Green-Eggs-and-Ham sort of level (though he isn't yet on fire about reading) and was starting some simple addition at the end of the school year.    He's in dual immersion, so recommendations for anything in English or Spanish would be glorious.    Also, if you have any suggestions for...
Hi all--thanks again so much for these tips and the encouragement.  My race was last week and I had a blast!  I was a little apprehensive because I had some random knee and leg discomfort and I wasn't able to run much for the last 2 weeks or so before the race, but I felt absolutely fine the day of the race and finished in 2:04.  Now I'm hooked and can't wait to race again.  Thanks so much for your advice.  Happy running to all of you!  
Hello!  It's interesting to me that many of the posts I have perused so far (though no, I have not read all 1500+!) seem to be about whether or not to have another kiddo.  I have had thoughts and feelings about this myself, of course, but at the moment, I'm here to comment on how it can irk me when people make assumptions about only children.  I should be used to it as I am also an only child (and fairly happy that way), but I do tire of often explaining patiently...