or Connect

Posts by Pepe

This is an interesting discussion...and it reminded me that when DS was a baby/toddler, one of the little ones in his "playgroup" (which was mamas bringing babies together so we didn't go totally insane in a cold winter) pulled a graphic kama sutra-type book off of our bookshelf.  I didn't know the other moms all that well, so it was a funny and awkward moment.    I agree with the idea of putting such books aside, at least until later on.
I'm getting ready for my first 13.1 and am interested in advice, tips, race stories, and the like.  I'm a relatively inexperienced runner--I got started (again--after being sporadic about it much of my adulthood) about two years ago with a 10K race and I'm rather committed if not incredibly speedy.  For this half-m, my goals are:   (a) to finish--I've only run as far as 10 miles a few times; if I complete my training as planned, I will have done one 12-mile run by...
Hello!  I was looking at the "full tank of junk/half a tank of healthiness" thread, which prompted me to wonder how to to include more veggies in DS's diet.  He's 5 and rather picky.  We would like to get more vegetables into him by (a) being direct about strong food and not offering seconds until everything has been tasted, etc. as well as (b) slipping some in here and there, such as pureed in tomato sauce and that sort of thing.    Do you have any ideas or...
What I'm proud of: I always enjoy and appreciate DS even when he's in a difficult phase or mood.  He's entitled to a whole spectrum of emotions and I am happy to allow him that while still savoring his rapidly vanishing early childhood.  I am grateful every day to have the privilege of being his mama.  I try to make our time together after work and school a precious, quality time, even if we're just hanging around the house. He looooooves reading.  This is a...
Interesting discussion!   OP, I don't mean to disagree with your notion that your kiddo was telling on the perp in order to get her in trouble--you know your son, so I'll take that as a given.  I'm interested, though, because sometimes my DS, also 5 and in kinder, also tells us when things like what you describe happen to him.  My thought is that he feels the need to point out when someone else's behavior is a breach of the rules.  I try to treat it with a "and what...
Hi, thanks for pointing me to those conditions.  Maybe folliculitis...in the past, I feel like the bumps have lessened with use of antibacterial soap.  They worsened when I started running again a couple of years ago, though I try to get out of sweaty clothes and into a shower ASAP.  DH's cheeks look the same and now little DS has some, too.  Ick.  
(...just so you know what the thread is about )   Right--so what could they be?  Not itchy, just red, pimply-like bumps, very ugly.  I tried washing our clothes in hot water and drying them in the dryer, but no real change.   Any ideas? 
DS started kindergarten (Spanish/English immersion) this past fall at 5.  His turning-5 b-day was just under a month before the Sept 1 cut-off.  Though there was a lot he didn't "know" at the beginning--for example, he was reluctant to do much drawing/writing before this year--he's doing very well and we're happy we sent him into K.   I'd recommend going to observe the kindergarten class (if you can), getting info about the curriculum, and talking to kindergarten...
Hi.  OP, did you ever figure out what this was?  I am so curious.
How can I help an old friend whose husband suddenly left her, a SAHM to four?  She's in shock, she's broke, and she needs support.  I live about 2000 miles away, but we are mutually connected to many high school friends via Facebook.  What should I do for her?  I was thinking about a way to collect donations...if many people were able to give even $5 or $10, maybe that could help her through the holidays.  Gift cards?  Two of the kiddos are under kindergarten age, so if...