or Connect

Posts by Pepe

Yes, this bugged me, too!  DS finally learned to blow his nose when we were practicing exhaling through the nose for swimming: we taught him to blow out a candle by blowing through his nose.  He's 5.
Hi, thanks for the comments and suggestions.   I'm a teacher myself, so I certainly understand the need for the crowd control and the green/yellow/red system--I'm just not sure that issuing so many reds is effective; it seems to take away the "power" of the red, and if so many students are receiving them, it seems to me that some positive reinforcement or modeling needs to be done.    Perhaps the teacher is in need of some additional support, either because of...
Thanks so very much, everyone!  I'm glad I'm not the only one with this tendency.  Love the affirmation! 
Hi--thanks for the replies.  As for the the teacher, he is a seasoned veteran with about 30 years of experience--but his father passed away about a month ago and I think it's possible he's suffering and perhaps less able to stay on top of everything.  He has the tough charge of a large class for all-day kinder, and it's dual immersion, which, at least at the very beginning of the year, seemed understandably daunting for kids new to the second language (DS had some...
I'm interested in: stressing less and savoring more, forgiving myself for unimportant errors, putting my family (and maybe even myself) before my work, saving worry only for when it's necessary, counting my blessings, sitting still and doing nothing at all sometimes, and generally remembering to be content.    I'm trying to reform as a people-pleaser perfectionist, meaning I should get away with "good enough" and "better than nothing" at work.  I loathe the thought...
How would you handle this?  Gentle, sensitive, and historically very cooperative DS, 5, is getting in trouble in kindergarten as of late for being goofy.  He seems to be testing out the impact his silly behavior has on his peers, such as by deliberately blurting out the wrong answer during carpet time.  How can we encourage him to avoid being a clown?  The teacher thinks he is imitating some other kids in the class who also try this brand of humor.   I certainly want...
First, congrats in advance! For me: my body felt fine almost right away after having my son. I had a natural vaginal birth and really no discomfort that a little ibuprofen (and those icy maxipads from the hospital) could not take care of. I was getting stir crazy and taking walks in the hospital the day after DS arrived. However--breastfeeding was another story. It was a long time--weeks and weeks--before I could nurse DS in public without a zillion pillows, a...
We didn't accumulate much candy because Halloween consisted of a kiddo party and trick-or-treating at only 4 or 5 houses...BUT even a small amount of candy led to the behavior some of you described. We let DS (age 5) have a few pieces and then offered him the chance to turn the remainder all in for some new Legos instead. It's not a perfect solution, but we all had a blast with the Legos today.
So...it's retractable! All that handling he's done has served its purpose. So how do we advise him to take care of/clean it? He's five years old. Thanks in advance!
Hello! I have the same question re: what to expect. When it's our turn to ask questions, I'm wondering what I should ask the teacher. emilysmama, would you be comfortable sharing what questions you asked? Though this is certainly child-specific, I think knowing what others ask would spark some ideas in my head (so other people, please chime in, too). Thanks!