or Connect

Posts by Pepe

Hello! I'm curious to know how parents of other 5yos talk about strangers and how to handle them. Now that DS is in kindergarten at a large public school, I feel it's time to talk more about this. DS, who is a rather cautious person, was recently hiding under the table on our front porch when I went inside for one second to grab something that was right on the other side of the front door. He claimed to be hiding so that "no strangers could steal him." This is not...
Hi! I'm seeking activity ideas for DS' upcoming b-day. Musical Chairs was a disaster at the last b-day party I've never liked that game, anyway...so I am looking for mainly non-competitive activities such as a treasure hunt for the books coming via the book exchange. The party will be mainly outside in very warm weather. There will be five guests--six kiddos including DS--ages 7, almost 6, 5, 5, 4, and 4, and assorted accompanying adults. Thanks in advance...
Hi there, It might be helpful for you to talk about and label your own feelings in day-to-day situations--something you might not be inclined to do if you are an introvert. If you're annoyed when stuck in traffic or sad during a book or excited for a visit with the relatives, do you tell your daughter so? Something that seemed to work well for us was talking a lot and/or guessing about how characters feel in books, or even how they look like they feel in illustrated...
Oh my goodness, thank you for checking on me! You are very, very thoughtful. It actually went pretty smoothly. Everyone was on their best behavior and it seemed MIL and FIL enjoyed the evening and getting their out-of-town friends together with the fam. Your post really reminded me to do the right thing by making an effort to get along with everyone without second-guessing every gesture/tone/facial expression but instead to focus on being gracious and appropriate...
Thank you for your kindness. It does help! It helps me to remember that an uncomfortable dinner is, well, only that; it's not a life-threatening tragedy... I'm oversensitive and over-receptive to others' issues and reactions in a group setting, so I'll just have to build a little forcefield around myself and cheerfully steamroller through.
I'd appreciate any online peptalks you can provide regarding a family party I need to attend tomorrow. MIL and FIL are having everyone over as they have out-of-town guests, friends of the fam. Things have been VERY tense after my DH and BIL (DH's sister's husband) had a conflict some weeks ago...well, actually BIL had something of a tantrum and swore at DH in front of all the kiddos, but it was a long time brewing. I'm not sure who's talking to whom (or not), and there...
Thanks very much--that's exactly what I was looking for. I appreciate it.
How can I help and support my friend who just found out his partner of 16 years has a cocaine problem? Confronted user denies it's a habit--he says it was just experimentation, but this has likely been a habit for some time, possibly as long as two years. My friend is planning on trying to get his partner to therapy (probably together). This problem is certainly beyond the scope of my expertise, but can anyone recommend books or online resources? This information is...
SeekingSerenity--would you say your daughter has perfectionist tendencies? DS sort of does, and I am a recovering perfectionist who also leans toward being oversensitive. Maybe it's a stage AND a personality quirk, or a combination of the two. Good luck to you/us/them!
Wonderful! I can tell your little girl is very LUCKY to have you as her mother.