or Connect

Posts by Minerva

Nursing care is not only horribly expensive, but if it's for medical reasons, you'll get kicked out when your insurance runs out. I think my father got 90 days before we had to get him out of there. He wasn't well/healed, either, and the other facilities we asked about were far beyond the budget. We simply had to keep him going as long as we could, and he died at home the way he wanted. We're about to have to take my mother in. She has no savings and a pile of medical...
I don't get the attraction. I kept having to clean too many parts of the machine that weren't supposed to get wet. Give me a pot on the stove anytime. Even the husband says it's better rice than we ever got out of the machine.
Quote: Originally Posted by LoMaH ETA: if you read some of the history of "white privilege", when a family member was able to live a better life and let those around them believe that they were white, the other family members DIDN'T out them. They let them live better. It's really sad- how family members were separated from each other in order for some of them to encounter better opportunities. Would you like to hear about the results of having...
I'm going to second cleaning as you go. It's the single best tip for dealing with cooking. Start with a clean counter and an empty dishwasher. Put things away the second you're done with that particular ingredient. Wipe up spills when they happen. Put dirty pots and utensils directly into the dishwasher when you finish with them -- do not stop at the sink! If you're standing around waiting for something to cook that doesn't need constant stirring, find something to...
Some relatives just don't get it, now matter how not-tactful you are about it. For those relatives, I stand by with a large trash bag to donate the excess. It's my house, and it's not going to be overrun with more toys than one child can play with in a week.
A variety of foods in my mother's basement freezer -- lunch meat, cheese, frozen pizzas. They had been there so long, we had to chip them out of the freezer with an icepick. Couldn't read the dates on the packaging. I believe my father put them in the freezer (it looked like his kind of food), and he died two years ago and couldn't get down the stairs for most of a year prior. Oldest verifiable item found -- a bottle of strawberry soda. This particular bottle was last...
I find that if our house is messy, it means too much stuff has crept in again. If I feel like I'm spending all day picking up, things need to go. I have areas designated for different things, and if everything no longer fits, something has to go. For example, all "big people books" go on the shelves downstairs, toddler books go on a particular shelf in the den, and toddler toys have three areas depending on the type of toy. If there's too much for the area, it's purge...
Let me tell you a little story, if you think people can't tell: My parents started dating in the late 1950s in Chicago. My mother's father was white and, by all accounts, very racist. The first time my mother took my father to meet her parents, afterwards, her father was yelling at her about how dare she bring a black man home. He knew right off, and my father wasn't all that dark-skinned. There were other similar incidents over the years as well. Now, I...
Last year we gave her hair clips, a packet of stickers, a book, and some wooden play food. So far this year's basket includes some French children's books (time for a new language!) and some fabric strawberries. I'm also going to paint a set of nesting dolls and make some gnome accessories (insects, another small critter, and maybe some fairy friends). We don't really do candies at all. Any candy that finds its way into the house goes into the husband's lunches.
I've taken to checking 'other' or just leaving it blank. My father's family is Creole -- they had a habit of breeding with whoever happened to be in the area at the time. And it looks like some of my mother's ancestors were East Asian way back when. If I have to stand there and check all that apply, I'll be there all day!