or Connect

Posts by Minerva

I'm in Illinois. They're doing some price adjustments lately, but it's works out to $6-something a gallon lately for whole cow's milk if we go the dairy store. It's higher of course at the regular supermarket. Local dairy so no hormones or antibiotics.
Sometimes it can't be done. We've lost friends because they did things differently. The mother seemed offended that I was breastfeeding. They took it personally when we mentioned that our then-one year old was showing signs of being interested in using the toilet instead of a diaper; their four year old still couldn't make it through the day without wetting himself at least once -- and not even caring that he did. Their kid went to day care almost immediately (their...
Welcome to the "random brown people" club, where it's more fun to keep them guessing. Your son, I can't tell yet. Your daughter looks part-Asian or possible part-Native American.
Antique linens. Most them are holding up better than the newer stuff. We got my husband's grandparents "small" china cabinet (the big one got sold off) after his grandfather died. His grandmother picked it as one of the very few pieces of furniture they bought when they got married during the Depression. We also got his grandmother's hope chest that was bought slightly before their wedding and a small secretary-style desk that had belonged to the grandparent's...
Ancho chiles are sweet -- they're dessert chiles. That's what is in Mexican chocolate. : Do you need whole chiles, dried chiles, or ground chiles? Penzey's has dried and ground, and you can order from their website if they aren't local to you.
Sprinkle all affected areas liberally with baking soda, then sweep/vacuum up. Here's hoping.
If you can tolerate that much wheat, go for it. I'd suggest making your own, but that's about it. My mother's family is Eastern European, and my father's family is mostly West African. As my digestive system would like to remind me lately, neither group really eats wheat. It drives my (part-Italian) husband crazy, but if we're having pasta, it's not wheat-based. I make up some Eastern European noodle-like items that are mostly barley flour, and once we get a grain mill...
We bought a bunch of turned wood shapes from a woodcrafter and I spent an evening painting fruit with non-toxic paints and sealant. She just loves it. I think for the non-fruit items I'm going to go with wool felt. It's easy to work with.
I don't worry too much about food spoiling. I'm the one who regularly leaves things out to cool off for a couple of hours or so before putting it away. The fridge is for storing cold food, not cooling food off. That, and nothing ever defrosts if it stays in the fridge, so onto the counter with it until it's pliable. Honestly, if it weren't for keeping the water pitchers cold, I don't think I'd bother with the fridge at all for most of our stuff. If pickled items really...
Quote: Originally Posted by Azuralea I liked your post, but wanted to clarify this: this was only ever true of a privileged section of the population. The idea that all families had a SAHP and lived securely on one income after WWII is widespread, but inaccurate. Single American women frequently (not occasionally) had jobs when you look at a population sample that includes all single American women. It's just that in the white, upper-middle-class and...