or Connect

Posts by Minerva

As I found out recently, I'm part Choctaw. But, since the only documented person so far is one of my third great-grandmothers, it's quite a ways back. I wouldn't ever be legally recognized or anything since the percentage for Choctaw is no less than 1/2. Funny for a group that interbred with everyone who wandered past the villages. Supposedly one of my cousins is in contact with our ancestral tribe since he's in that area, but I haven't made contact with him yet. I...
Clean it up good and break out the bacon! : Great find, there. I will envy your new pan.
Buy a fattier cut of meat. You'll get full faster. Use the drippings to season your side items. Save the bones, make stock, and use that to cook up rice and other grains. May I also suggest breakfast-for-dinner? I find that bacon and such is a bit cheaper, and pancakes cooked in bacon grease fill a person right up! :
I'd be concerned about the crazing mentioned on that dish. That means the glaze is no longer watertight. If there's any lead in the decals or anything, it'll leach. What's wrong with using your regular dishes?
Quote: Originally Posted by cjuniverse Sigh. Patriarchy strikes again. Only important for men to know their racial/ethnic/cultural heritage. The little women don't care. You can trace your maternal lineage with mitochondrial DNA. You can find out about your father's family by checking your brothers, your father's brothers, his father's father's brothers, etc since they all (should) have the same Y chromosome. Just find someone in the...
Just FYI, Illinois does not permit concealed carry. If she passed through here, it needed to be in a locked case in the trunk. If she had gotten pulled over with it in the glove compartment, let's just say that the compost would have hit the proverbial fan. We are no longer in the happy bygone days when no one would think twice about travelling with a firearm. Does she even have a permit to own a firearm?
We use a big lidded basket for her "downstairs" toys. My MIL thought it was just an ottoman or something until the toddler opened it and started pulling out toys.
I can relate to that one. I just recently found out that my father's family has been passing for white since 1908. Who knew, but that explains a lot. I was told they were French, and here I find out that they're Creole and free people of colour, and they were originally (if there is such a thing) from the Caribbean. It turns out no immediate ancestors were French; if they're "mostly" anything, it's West African. So yeah, besides the culture I never knew about, I've...
I've had this happen twice, same way both times. I took a pot roast out of the oven and set it down on a hot pad so I could add some vegetables. While I was getting the veg from the refrigerator, there was a huge explosion behind me. I turn around and saw that the damn pan had exploded. Fortunately I was just outside the spray zone for the glass shards, so I didn't get hit. The first time, the husband didn't believe me when I called him, but he came right home to...
I don't know if there's a magic number. What I do is: If I don't see her playing with it much, I put it in front of something she does play with a lot (like, say, her gnomes) when it's on the shelf. I'll do this for a few days, and if it's consistently getting tossed aside to get to the "good stuff", it gets donated. I think that keeps it down to a manageable level of toys where all the toys get regular play. I don't mind keeping things that actually get used, but...