or Connect

Posts by buff

Thanks dannic for understanding. And thanks for the other replies. It all helps me get it in some perspective. I'm caught between a rock and a hard place, not totally trusting the doctors scaremongering but not being entirely comfortable with my decision either, despite trying to read as much as I can. I guess it is an ongoing journey.
oh help it really wasn't because it might have been touched by Egyptians!
i mean recently industrialized countries!
yes of course most things are imported, and many things from developing countries and early industrialized countries, i think the thing that worried me was that it was from a market stall, so no safety checks on how and where it was made, that kind of thing.
fair enough, I'm trying to do some research right now. My aunt died of polio before my mum was born so obviously it is something that scares me, especially if there is genetic susceptibility. I have been reading about it, and on the archives here. Some things make sense, others I'm not so sure about. It seems most established research on polio halted around the time the vaccine came out [of course] so there are many interesting hypotheses out there that I feel have yet to...
not really anniedare. I don't think the people in Egypt are 'diseased'. I do know Egypt has been declared free of polio for a year [that's what I read] but that it was endemic until very recently and could resurface any time, as it has done in places like Indonesia. I have lived in London with my ds which is very multi cultural and that doesn't bother me at all, if that is what you are alluding to. I may well be worrying too much, I think the difficulty for me is that...
i know, you're right EVC. It is just the weight of responsibility is so huge either way, making this decision for my ds's health. We delayed because he had problems, blood in his stool and food allergies, and now he is doing so well I don't want to rock the boat. sheesh. Gitti, thanks for those links. I have to say I'm a little sceptical about some of the claims made, I think it is very hard with polio to assume anything and make conclusive claims, so much we don't know....
But IPV you can't get polio from ,right? Are there any known problems with IPV? It is such a new vaccine....
I've read the Mendelsohn book! It was a very common sense approach, but it was written a while ago wasn't it. Can't remember what he said about polio, but polio is the one that I think vaccination has had a significant effect on. With a price to pay, obviously, especially with the OPV, which you don't get in Europe any more [though some of the poorer countries still use it] My mother's sister actually died of polio before she was born, so it is something I am scared of....
i have read quite a few books on vaccination but not the one by Dr Sears. From his website it seems he does advocate some vaccines on a delayed schedule, which seems fair enough, it is just ds has been doing so well lately after getting over his gut problems i'd hate to inject something which might give him a bad reaction, or long term problem. The immune system is so delicate, i find the whole are so incredibly hard to rationalize. It is just that polio is such a...