or Connect

Posts by SomedayMom

So, after overcoming a major tongue tie and weaning from a nipple sheild at 10 weeks, things have been going really really well with my 3.5 month old.  However, in the last week he has really started choking and gagging while nursing, spitting up a lot more, having more gas, and seeming more uncomfortable after nursing.  He pulls off and on a lot too.   We never had this problem before and it wasn't an issue with my others.    He has had a cold and developed and EI,...
We had the bottle issue too AND my nipples are really large and while not truly flat are flatter than normal (plus I'm a G cup, great combo...).  So perhaps the nipple shield would help you.  It was really the only way DS would latch on for me, so it was definitely one of my miracle fixes.  Nipple sheild + tongue tie fix was HUGE for us.   Good luck!  I really hope you get resolution soon.  I wish it didn't have to be so difficult.
I'm glad you were able to get the procedure done.  Definitely talk with the LC.   My DS had his TT done last week (9 days ago).  He was already on a sheild and I haven't been able to get rid of it yet, but I don't know if it would help in your case or not.  I can say that the first day after it was done he was still pretty reluctant about nursing, but he caught on the next day and he's been doing great ever since!  I haven't had to pump in a few days!  Hopefully,...
Thank you :)   I should update.  I actually didn't even need to do a nurse in really.  When his tongue tie was clipped he was willing to latch on.  The evening after it was done was a little stressful, but after that he started nursing consistently.  It's been a week and he does not need the supplements anymore.  My next step is to wean off the sheild, but since he's doing great I am going to let my nipples finish healing first.   Anyway...long story short...I am...
DS3 is seeing a doctor about a posterior TT tommorrow.  If he does better after the procedure I'm considering doing a nurse in with him.  My parents are wanting the older 2 boys to sleep over on Friday so I'd have all day/night to just sit and nurse.    How would I do this?  Just latch him on constantly?  If I don't pump and he isn't more efficient will my supply tank?  Would I pump some?  I want to have milk in there for him.   He nurses only with a nipple sheild...
Oh, I'm sorry you guys are going through this too.   Hi Jamie!!  Congrats on your little guy!  Not sure if you'd recognize me but we were in the Jan/Feb group at SE :)  Our little guys are only a day apart!   Eating oats is supposed to help with supply as well.  Good thing I like it :)  Do you have a hospital grade pump?  I EP'd for DS1 with a PISA but I went and rented a symphony this time.    This is difficult!  But I feel like I'm armed with so much more...
Hey there!  I don't have great advice, but wanted to post b/c I am going through something similar with my 3rd baby.  He had an anterior TT clipped already and we've been seeing a chiropracter too.  My little guy won't latch at all without a nipple sheild and that was while I was supplementing with a finger feeder only.  I went to bottles only after he started latching with the sheild.  I made the decision this week to take him to the doctor that does posterior TT.  We...
So, my 2.5 week old son is having a rough/slow start learning to nurse.  There are/were some anatomical issues and he stopped nursing at 6 days old.  After about 6 days like that the LC suggested we try a nipple shield and viola, the child will latch on and nurse.  He refuses to even try otherwise.  So I know the sheild is controversial, but it's working for him.  He can get milk out now and he swallows but he's still quite inefficient (but still won't latch without the...
I need some encouragement so that this doesn't seem so hopeless...   My son is 1 week old today.  He has not nursed in a day and a half.   The issues seem to be tongue tie (the front has been clipped now, but he may need the posterior done too).  His palate is "bubbled" (? something that goes with the tongue tie).  Possibly assymetry in his face that could be contributing.  B/c of the tongue tie he was chomping instead of sucking and he wasn't getting enough.  I...
I have a 5 day old.  He had a great latch in the hospital, but when my milk came in he had a hard time getting enough milk.  I was very engorged and that just made it harder for him to latch.  He hadn't pooped in 24 hours and his urine output was borderline.  Today he utterly refused to latch on the last 2 times I tried.  Screamed his little head off.  Finally I gave in and gave him a pumped bottle.  I had supplemented a few times to get him to poop, but never a full...