or Connect

Posts by kerc

Jaygee:  my dad died of a fall (blot clot on his brain stem after a fall in a Boston subway station). Go now. Drive if you must. You will never regret it.   Nic:  None of those look cheap or easy.  I think you'd be a rockstar principal fwiw.    Jo: I can't imagine doing grad school from a distance.  My phd work was sort of like that, but unintentionally. I don't recommend it.  (Not enough time to really say what I mean here. But I'll say more later, if I...
In my experience, yes.  And now it's friday. Super fun night* planned for tonight: holiday parade viewing. And one kid woke up with a sore throat. Bad enough we kept her home the first few hours of the day.  And then I told her, "Hey. You're 11. If you feel too sick for school I believe you. If you feel ok to go to the parade 12 hours from now, I'm ok with it. Missing school isn't a regular thing for you."  I went out and got sick food, cough drops, etc. And she felt a...
Yoga. Holy sore. Whew. Friday yet?
This is the AP of school aged kids: making that round trip to get the kids settled in. I seriously see a difference when I am home vs. when I am not home right after school. I mean once upon a time we gave up going out for beer with friends because baby needed us to be home to nurse to sleep. But this too mama, this too will pass. And I hope you have a nice podcast to listen to on the drive. Or a book on tape.  Speaking of being home after school. Must get on the road.....
Well. clearly you said something interesting that I was going to comment on, but mdc has decided to delete it in this box. Oh yeah.  Little dd was being super sloppy and bored at school.  Come to find out, she just couldn't see and so thought it was boring.  Glasses + an excellent teacher have solved that.  Yes. You pretty much just described how I plan my classes.I have my very own set of crayola markers devoted to the cause.
Ap/IB/College: So much depends on what your view of college is. If your intent is for it to be a formative experience. A chance to dig deeper, a chance to learn a lot about yourself and explore, then AP credits give you a chance to do that. If only because you got a 5 on the AP exam lets you out of writing 101.   AP/IB/High school:  for me the AP coursework was a chance to do what I thrived on: to dig deeper, to ask tougher questions and to be somewhat rigorous in the...
((Dana))Go for a walk. Move the body.  At least keep the chocolate bar across the room so you have to get up off your rear and go collect your chocolate bar.
On my phone: don't discount the value of teaching how to take the test. That skill is useful!
Yes. YES. YES!!!! (blue skies do wonders). Coursework: yes, if your classes are expiring (7 is a usual number), there are lots of benefits in taking classes, especially after 7 years.  There comes a point where you take too many classes and that becomes counter productive. There's a sweet spot there someplace. I'm headed off to the office here momentarily, I think. Need to take off my pjs. It's been a busy few weeks/months at work. This is my own doing.And also Gaye and...
I'm with those other ladies!  freeze that turkey!   Instead if you want to meet earlier -- maybe a place that would be informal.  We had so much fun meeting your ds, got to chat with you and ds seemed really comfortable.  Maybe a trip to a park?  Or else you meet them, minus ds. From here, it seems like your son is a well behaved kid. If he's acting out with just one unknown/semiknown person there, then it's a lot for him to meet the 'rents too. And also spend the time...