or Connect

Posts by cyclamen

Also, I'm not saying other women should make the same choices or have the same values I do.  I'm saying that the bottom line looks different for me and that's not anti-feminist.  If life worked that way, I would relive every moment of abuse I have ever experienced in order to have my living child.  I have already experienced it once and survived it.  But life doesn't work that way.  No one gets to bargain like that.  Viola, I have not suggested that you turn yourself over...
Yes, obviously we'd all choose to have living babies.     We don't have control over the world, but we do have the power to make some choices.  There is a wide wide world of difference between making a decision based on a faulty understanding of risk and of what can be done to mitigate those risks and making a decision that takes all the information into account.   We're not seriously going to have the discussion that all actions carry equal risk (no) and therefore no...
Women have a right to make their own risk assessments and valuations, but they also have the right to know what and how much they are risking.   I always thought I couldn't handle more trauma in my life, that I was already broken by my experiences, and then my baby died (a birth injury, insufficient interventions were available to help her in the situation we found ourselves) and I managed to not lay down and die.  Not everyone feels this way but for me a living...
Even before anesthesia and sterile technique became widespread and available, people were attempting c-sections for obstructed labor.  The first successful c-section in the united states was performed in 1794, at the request of a woman, Elizabeth Bennett, who (probably rightfully) believed that continuing her labor would kill both her and child.  The first physician she asked refused to do it on ethical grounds, and her husband, also a physician, was the one to actually do...
Loveneverfails, do you have your birth story anywhere?  Or willing to share more about it?  I am probably going to have a planned induction as well and I would love to read about your experience.
I'm considering/planning an epidural too.  I had two previous unmedicated births, first was very very painful, OP and nuchal hand.  Felt like transition for 8 hours from around 4cm.  Second was not very painful until it was actually transition, and then it was blindingly painful but only lasted 40 minutes.  She was positioned better, only OP no nuchal hand.  This time around, I'm planning on having an epidural if I'm in that extreme amount of pain early on - 4cm or...
You might want to read about the "emotional signposts" of labor; they can be a helpful tool in figuring out when to go.  Bradley method recommends waiting until transition.  I have heard several naturally minded doulas say that it's better to go earlier and nest and get comfy so not to have to transfer in transition and I very much agree.  I would go as soon as I have to be quiet for the contractions and notice I am getting rhythmic in my activity; that is active labor for...
You didn't fail.  You might feel like you did, and it's okay to feel whatever you feel; it's normal to feel that way after a traumatic event.  But the reality is you didn't fail.  Birth is never a cookie cutter event, so even when you couldn't use the coping methods you normally used, you found a way to get the help you needed - from your DH - so you could get through the contractions.  And that is pretty awesome too.     I'm sorry you didn't get adequate pain relief for...
I saw some beautiful photos of a woman who'd had twins earlier than expected.  She had a "healing bath" with them.  It looked like a wonderful idea.   http://springphotography.com.au/herbalbath-rebirth
First baby - "oh it's you!" or "oh so that's who you are." something about her face looked familiar to me in a way that I couldn't understand.   Second baby - I didn't greet her with words, I knew something was wrong when she didn't cry, got a glimpse of her, saw that she was beautiful and appeared to be dead, and then sent her off with her dad to be resuscitated.   third baby - i don't know, curious to find out.