or Connect

Posts by cyclamen

I always forget about those quaker rice cakes, lol. & No kidding!  I was sweating just watching the video.   Anyhow, I pounded my rice.  Some friends came over for brunch and I made them pound it too!  It was really hard!  Harder than kneading bread dough.  I used the wrong kind of rice (too glutinous, should have used plain short rice) so it was no good for my soup, but I fried it like Japanese mochi and it was pretty tasty.
I found a traditional tteok (rice cake) pounding video...   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYYjtNDKAYk   I managed not to make it to the store for rice cakes before it closed, but I have rice and stone bowl and pestle.  So I decided to try making it the traditional way.   According to my mom, grandmother used to make rice cakes this way.  She must have been ripped!   I began soaking my glutinous rice two days ago.   Last night I roasted some lamb neck...
I remember our refrigerator box.  We had that thing for years in the garage.  It was a house, a car, an embassy, an airplane, a store, a cave... We played with it and kept repairing it with duct tape until I was 12.  Then I think it finally fell apart.  My mom also let us have a closet under the stairs as our "place" and that was all of the above and more.   DD gets a cabinet in the kitchen.  We keep her plates, cups, forks, napkins and tea pot in it, but she also...
Sounds weird but tanning (uv rays) and kefir helped us.  Probiotics did not help us, but humans have beneficial yeasts as well as bacteria, and I think all the nystatic and diflucan killed ours off, so the kefir replenished it.  Yeast is on everything, so if your balance is off, you'll keep getting an overgrowth.  But it does not sound like your drs have done everything they could to help you.
  OP This really stuck out for me.  I think this is a normal thing for many parents, espcially moms to feel.  I hope I also communicated in my PP that when you are showing her what to do with stuff, you can be giving her the information she craves.  So you might not be "on" her as much as you think you are.  You might be meeting a need.   I've also felt this way like, DP is the fun parent and I'm not.  I do try to carve out some time with her - sometimes just a few...
Edited for clarity, verbosity!   I'm shocked to see myself typing what I have just typed below.  I had a very traditional and authoritarian upbringing and I always thought it was one perfectly reasonable way to be a parent.  I assumed that I would do the same. But...   1.  I think it might be useful to distinguish between trying to get her to do something and just modeling the behavior and talking about it.  I find that if I am very invested in an outcome, it's...
  I think that of all my options: 1) invasive formalized prenatal care, 2) unassisted prenatal care and 3) respectful formalized prenatal care, option three is my lowest-stress option.  I was largely comfortable doing unassisted prenatal care during my previous pregnancy, but I think if I thought I could have found a care provider who wouldn't push, I probably would have been even more comfortable with that.  However, it's very encouraging to hear that not every care...
I'd like to know too. Lately I have lost my cool with DD 18mo is in the middle of the night,- she's crying, usually because she's teething, but also because she's learning how to fall asleep and occasionally needs to be helped. I try to do this: "I know, you are crying because you want to sleep. I want to sleep too. Let's cuddle and breathe deeply and close our eyes so sleep can come." But sometimes I do this: "Stop! Stop crying! Please stop crying! STOP." I know its not...
  Yeah, I usually keep stuff packed up now, or I'll give DD's cup a quick wash.  I have no problem with passing snacks around... and the situation you described where everyone uses one spoon to taste doesn't bother me either, although I might decline.    These women are all extremely nice, and are friendly and sharing, but this one situation just weirds me out a little, lol. 
Not my house, but I loved these pictures: here http://www.ohdeedoh.com/ohdeedoh/blogging/new-york-social-diary-lisa-mahar-home-069959 and more pictures of the same house here http://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/node/32280   It inspired me to sort all of DD's toys and put them in lidded plastic boxes on a shelf so it is easier for her to see what she has and easier to put stuff away.  She really enjoys it and has already figured out how to take off and put on...