or Connect

Posts by Ocean

I will admit that I don't know too much about WIC specifically, but most goverment programs that provide benefits to people who can't provide for themselves and/or their children are on the lookout for medical problems and child abuse. Many people who can't afford to feed their children also can't afford to take them to the doctor, so I would think the height/weight measurements are a crude means of determining whether your child is developing normally. These agencies...
If your ds is not drinking anything out of a cup, I think that issue needs to be resolved regardless of whether you continue to pump. In other words, I wouldn't use that as a basis to stop pumping necessarily. At one, your ds is probably eating quite a few solids if you're considering day-weaning, so he should be having something to drink (preferably water, IMO) with solids. Maybe try other sippy cups but most importantly just keep trying. My dd didn't get the hang of...
I can totally relate to hating the pump. I pumped until about 17 months. Unfortunately for me, shortly thereafter my supply totally stopped, so we have very recently weaned at 18 months. Other than the occasional bottle of ebm she had been getting up until last month, dd gets only sippy cups of water. She eats a lot of fruit (she goes kind of crazy for it, actually) so we don't want to add juice on top of that. But now that we have weaned, I've started thinking about...
I stopped pumping when my dd was 16 or 17 months old. About a month before, we had nightweaned, so I continued to pump once a day so that my supply would not totally drop. We nursed twice a day, right before bed and first thing in the morning. I work over 40 hours a week, so that's really all the time we had for nursing, except weekends. DD became uninterested in the bedtime nursing, so we nursed just in the morning. But after about two weeks of that, I noticed that I...
When I found out I was pregnant, my dh and bought our first home. It's turned out to be a mixed blessing. I love owning our home, but it's incredibly expensive -- more than double the rent at our last apartment. A few months after we bought our house, my dh was laid off and has only worked occasionally since then. We often talk about selling our house as a way of cutting back on expenses. But I really enjoy having our home, and dd loves running in the back yard,...
That routine sounds pretty familiar. When my dd (now 18 months) was your baby's age, I would nurse dd in bed around 5:30 (although often I was up way before this because she was not a good night sleeper), take a shower, get dressed, get lunch and bottles together, change a couple of diapers in the meantime, nurse one last time, and head out the door between 6:50 and 7:00 to get to work around 8:00. I did not pump in the mornings unless I only nursed once. I also brought...
I know exactly what you mean. I've read many of your other posts, and it sometimes seems like we are living parallel lives. After I finished my judicial clerkship, I saw all my co-clerks going on to great jobs that pay much better than my job. For me, finding a part-time job proved to be impossible. I thought I had one lined up, but the funding fell through, so I was scrambling for a job just weeks before my clerkship ended. I ended up taking a full time position at a...
My dd is almost 17 months old, and I've recently really cut back on nursing. I am still pumping once a day. I'm doing it to try to keep up my supply because I am away from dd for 11 hours a day and I just recently night-weaned. I have always had supply issues since returning to work, so I have continued to pump during the day, even though I never feel "full". I usually only get about two ounces per pumping session now. Mamacate, because you are away from your twins...
I'm sorry to hear you are going through such a tough time! To me, this should not be a debate about whether smoking pot is a good or bad thing or whether it should or should not be legal. This is about your husband engaging in recreational activities that puts your family in jeopardy. It would be totally different if your husband was taking marijuana for a legitimate medical reason. But he is putting your professional work at risk. I understand about that because I,...
I guess I'm the sole person who voted "no." When I was pregnant, I thought I would make my own baby food at least some of the time, but in reality I only tried once. It took a long time and dd refused to eat any of it. Actually, she hated pured food. I bought her organic baby food without added sugar and preservatives, so I felt good about what I was offering her, but she just didn't like the texture I guess. I think I bought a grand total of 15 jars of baby food,...