or Connect

Posts by jazluv99

We have levels A and B right now.  I love this curriculum!  Even though my youngest is in 4th grade, I opted to get the books anyway as a supplement.  We use Horizons, Singapore and some Life of Fred.  Even with exposure to all of these, Beast Academy still asks questions in a way that makes my son think.  They just present a different angle to the same subjects.  They ask questions in a way that he's just not "regurgitating" information.  They make him think and...
In kinder, we covered many subjects with Five in a Row.  We also used a separate phonics and math program, but mainly it was just FIAR.  There is a FIAR forum with tons of ideas to go along with that curriculum.  Five in a Row (FIAR) is a literature based program.  There are also tons of free downloadable lapbooks you can use at homeschoolshare.com for FIAR.  They even have lapbooks/activities for many other books that are not FIAR.  I still use homeschoolshare even now...
With one born in August and one born in late Sept, my sons have always been on the "young" side for their "grades".  I know at 5, my sons were not ready for a lot of writing or sit-down work.  They both technically started kinder when they were 4.  They were young, but they were ready.  We did Explode the Code, Horizons Math, and Five in a Row.  Loved it!  We could work on Explode the Code and Horizons written work by "writing" in corn meal or shaving cream on a cookie...
We started with Song School Latin.  My boys both loved it, and it was a gentle introduction to the language.  We waited until they were a bit older before starting Latin for Children A.  I wanted to wait until they had a better grasp of grammar before moving on.  Also the LfC A had a bit more writing than my oldest was ready for at the time.  I love that we can listen to the chants when we're on the go.  My youngest is just now starting it at 8 but already has a great...
i haven't had a chance to read all of the posts but i am here to say that spanking is still alive and strong where i live. in fact, when most people find out that i don't spank, they look at me like i'm a freak of nature. i'm one of six siblings and only two of us don't spank. my brother and SIL don't spank mainly because she's swedish. she said that it's not a common practice there and she couldn't imagine hitting her children. i have quite a few...
i don't know about the screaming and the bossiness but i can definitely identify with volume control issues. i have a 4 yr old son that needs constant reminders about his volume. seems like i'm always telling him that he doesn't need to yell b/c i am right beside him. he's not doing it to actually yell at me; he just talks that way. he'll bring his voice down and next thing ya know, he's talking really loud again. he hasn't always done this so i'm hoping that it's...
i know exactly how you feel. ds1 turned 2 a month before ds2 was born. it was a crazy time but it got better. i think it was huge for her to admit that she's jealous over the baby. i know you don't have much spare time but i've just started reading "siblings without rivalry". that book has helped me tremendously! i only wish i had heard of it sooner. i'm not sure how your daughter is when she's in the throes of a "tantrum" but here's my experience with my sons. ...
i guess i don't pay much attention to others when i'm out and about. i don't really care what others think. i've had to defend my decisions enough to family members that total strangers don't phase me. i'd prolly be more apt to make comments if someone was yelling (or worse) at their child (i've been known to do this from time to time). as far as what i'd do if i walked by that scene, i'd prolly be too busy dealing with my own crazy lil hooligans to even notice. ...
i don't tell ds1 what he can buy with his spending money. the house rules still apply though. not sure how i'd feel about the candy though b/c he has never wanted to buy any. as long as the toys are non-violent, i don't care what he gets. the main reason we started giving an allowance is to help him learn about finances while he's growing up. maybe some of the "mistakes" he makes now will help him manage his money in the future.
Shana, that's what we ended up doing too! lol we had jasmine first then went out and "got" her a dog. they got along great!