or Connect

Posts by augustashley

Do you purchase your insurance yourself or is it through work?  I would try to get the HR person with the company who manages the insurance to try to advocate for you.  I was fighting BCBSofTX (we live in LA) to preauth my midwife, and they were giving me a h ard time, until I got the company rep to make calls for me.  We got a letter in 2010 saying midwives were covered, but there are no midwives within 80 miles that they actually cover, because they are requiring a...
$1200 doula??? Wow, that is really pricey.  Do you think maybe you could find a less expensive doula option?  That might save you a lot-I don't know about your area but in mine I think they range form $300-$500 normally.  
at 12w5d I had an u/s and we could tell the gender-I was SHOCKED to see what it was so early! (I bet you can guess, given that it was so obvious)  I couldn't believe how long the legs and arms were, I could make out toes... I was still picturing a peanut with flappers, not a normally-proportioned baby! :)
I have had one miscarriage out of 6 pregnancies.  It is probably a coincidence, but it was the only baby I didn't quit my 2 c. coffee/day habit for.  Perhaps that is related because my hormones weren't high enough to make the coffee repulsive, though.   I was having a hard time quitting caffeine this time-I was a 2 big cups a day person and then knew I was pregnant because it started suddenly being revolting before I even missed my period... but I had horrible...
I felt flutters (but could never decide if they were real) starting at 12w4 days. I definitely felt one of my babies at 13 weeks, so this might be another active one. :)
I loved the BabyNameWizard book. :)  I found its suggestions very on the mark for the most part (ie, if you like Lily, you will also like ....) with suggested sister/brother names as well.   I have an almost-10 y/o Sawyer!  I'm surprised to see so many Sawyers on the lists, when I named him that, it was virtually unheard of (in the upper 900s, barely in the top 1000 names on the charts).  It blew up in popularity in my area after Lost aired, and now in our small...
I wish I had the progressive, spa like options in a hospital that so many are mentioning!   To be honest, my laboring experiences weren't traumatic, but very frustrating, aggravating, and uncomfortable, and everything (in 3 different hospitals) felt like an argument from start to finish.   It is the after-birth stage with all the baby interventions/not releasing the baby for minimum of 48 hrs that is my biggest problem.  I've had a horrible experience 3/4 times...
I had a unplanned, unassisted homebirth when my 2nd son decided to start crowning barely an hour and 45 minutes after my very first contraction-we simply didn't think we were anywhere near to needing to leave for the hospital.   He was born with bruising on his face, and the color was scary, I questioned (in the moment) if he might have gone without oxygen, and never wanted to have an unassisted birth or could imagine the desire for that; having had that...
Yes-if you are getting the shot at 28 weeks and had trauma, I would get it early.  You need to get it within 72 hrs of the incident, *if* it caused blood mixing, in order to prevent sensitization.  
I don't freak out about it if there is another option-if I go to subway I get a roasted chicken or a hot sub instead, if I want deli meat at home (very rarely do we buy it) I will microwave or heat it just enough to kill off any bacteria.   You can get listeria SO many ways.  I just try to keep in mind that it might be contaminated and reduce exposure when it is easy to do so.  I wouldn't not eat if that was the only option-I had tons of deli meat in my first two...