or Connect

Posts by shelbean91

Both of my boys are now officially dx'd with autism - Jake was when he was 2 1/2 and Seth just this past January (he's now 7).  Hippotherapy was GREAT for Jake - he LOVED every minute of it.  Seth - it was good for him, but he was afraid of getting on the horse.  Once he was on, he was fine, but getting on and off was a challenge.  They did grooming, petting, feeding, etc., and he really liked it, but was just too afraid.  I couldn't afford it, either, but both the...
Thanks for the info - sorry it's taken so long to reply, I was visiting family.  This is great help - I'm hoping she can get what she needs from him. He's jerking her around, money wise - he says it's an overseas job, but who knows.
My uncle was in jail for a while back in the 80s when he was behind because he was unemployed.  A friend's ex has effectively eliminated all of his visitation b/c he has an arrest warrant in our state - and he lives in another.  If he shows up to get the girls, he'll be put in jail - for about 15k of arrears, I believe.  So, no, not in jail, but as close as you can be, I think.
I now have 2 dx'd with autism.  Get the eval.  You'll either get a dx or you'll get the all clear.  Knowing is the only way to move forward.  If your dh is sure there's nothing wrong, then this will confirm that.  The label will NOT change your child, it will simply help you find out the best way to help him.   I don't remember asking dh, I just told him we were getting it done-there was a speech delay and EI could help - at that point, autism wasn't suspected by me...
Hi everyone - I hope this is ok to post here.  I'm not a single parent, but a friend is and her ex is a total UAV.   LONG story short - he owes huge amounts of back cs and rarely pays current cs on time.  We live in AZ, he doesn't - in AZ there is an arrest warrant for nonpayment - so he's effectively unable to see the kids.  She's stuck waiting on him every month to send the money he owes, because there is no wage garnishment.   So, 2 questions -   1. - Is...
We just had my ds2 at the developmental ped where he was dx'd with autism.  They are very, very thorough - we were there with the physician's assistant for 2+ hours the first time, where she asked me lots of questions, asked him lots of questions, and did many, many observations.  The next appt was with the actual ped, where he went over all the results (we had to fill out LOTS of questions ahead of time, as did his teachers - he's 6).  He gave me tons of paperwork to...
If you were raised Catholic, you can choose a parish and start attending.  You can register as a member and there are generally lots of 'raised Catholic, now coming' meetings you could go to.  RCIA if you've never been confirmed would be an option as well.
We also have brushing issues and now keep a toothbrush next to the bathtub.  I let ds chew on it in there- better than nothing.  Also, he likes to chew on a washcloth, so that helps a bit as well.  No other suggestions beyond that- but when ds2 had cavities filled, he had to be completely put under.
  That's true - with my ds1, we did need to do a hearing test to rule out hearing loss.  Ds2 has also had his hearing tested.  If speech delays are from something else, like hearing loss - that's included toward an autism dx.  I was worried ds2 would get an asperger's dx, because here - that gets NO services, but autism dx gives us therapy, habilitation, and respite.  I was told that b/c there was a speech delay and some delayed milestones, that would make him 'eligible'...
I called last January for an eval for my ds2.  The earliest appt was in JUNE - and that was with a physician's assistant.  She asked all the questions, did the observations, etc., and gave me huge packets to fill out for me and his teacher.  Now, this was in JUNE, and they wouldn't schedule the next appointment until I got the paperwork back.  Because school didn't start until August, I couldn't even schedule an appt until September when they received the paperwork.  The...