or Connect

Posts by mrsfru

Maybe we can ship them to others on the board for respite??? Is that legal???? Just kidding!  But seriously, sometimes I probably could be convinced to try it!
Please note that I replied to this last night....before any other replies....but when I hit "submit", the site was taken down for some maintence, so I had to save it and post it tonight.  So, I'm sorry if any of this is redundant.  I haven't read the other replies yet.       Well, frankly, low tone in and of itself CAN BE enough for a young child to be exhausted.  Low tone kids have to expend two or three times the energy as typical kids to do the *exact same*...
Well.....the definition of "discipline" is *to teach*.  It is not "to punish", which is what most people equate the word with and commonly use it as.    The first thing, to me and for my son, is to determine why he is screaming.  Since he has some special needs, it often has to do with him feeling overwhelmed or unable to express or stand up for himself.  I try to step in before he gets this far, but I have 2 kids..and sometimes I screw up and miss the early signs. ...
Well, if leotards and such make her feel better....it could be that loose things rubbing lightly make her crazy.  I don't like tight stuff like leotards, but I also really don't like things that tickle or flutter.  Tighter clothing may also make her feel more grounded.  You could try getting her some cami style undershirts from somewhere that are really soft, but snug, to wear underneath things....it would block the rubbing of clothes and snug her in.    Soft is the...
  This is so true...it's not necessarily how good they are at the mimicry, but how much they use it at that level and to what purpose the behavior serves the child. For example, it's really neat to watch our 5 yr old imitate an animal--he can pretend to be a squirrel, rabbit, dog, mouse, etc--and he gets all the details...every...single....one......It's really cute when he's playing w/a friend and these are for a few minutes here and there BUT it's pretty concerning...
DS1 has a sacral dimple that looks just like that, and his Dad and G'ma have them, too.    He has a list of problems, but as an infant, hypotonia was one of the first dx's.  He had an ultrasound at about 5-6 mos old to rule out a tethered cord and such, and it was easy!   Trust your gut and push for the ultrasound if you want it.   GL!   mrsfru
Has she grown at all in the last few months? A growth spurt may have made thing fit a bit snugger (even if they do technically still "fit") and might be bothering her. 
Yes, there are visual processing problems.  A developmental opthalmologist AND an occupational therapist can both help with these issues.  We had our son evaluated by a developmental opthalmologist, and it only cost us $50 for the eval! There is vision therapy available through these professionals.   The doc we saw has a small website, but I think there were helpful links on there: www.instituteforvision.com     hths
No relation at all. You didn't cause the hypotonia. Both of my boys have hypotonia, and both developed it (or showed signs) before I started having a drink again here and there. You are born with the muscle tone you have--it doesn't really get better or worse in and of itself, although w/therapy and exercise you can make the muscles stronger and more able to sustain activity to make up for it. Hypotonia has many causes--prematurity, genetics, etc. My boys were both...
Quote: Originally Posted by tsfairy We're back to sweet loving slightly quirky DS after more than a week of truly gluten-free. His behavior took a turn for the better by Tuesday or so, and even with a really busy weekend full of too much activity and too much sugar but NO gluten, he's just a different kid. Right now I'm almost unable to remember why I was so upset last week. Well that's not quite true. I do remember, vividly, but it feels unreal. If...