or Connect

Posts by grahamsmom98

Ds (age 8 1/2) has always been a reader. Before he could actually read, he poured over boks, looking at pictures. He went for the National Geographic as a baby with a glee. His reading level is great (if you care about "levels"). That being said, his preference has always been non-fiction for his personal reading choice. Books that explain about things, mostly nature. And, that's fine. However, we'd hoped he'd want to read fiction for pleasure, as well, as both dh...
mamarabolli, THANK YOU FOR THE LINK!!! I am sure we will know fairly quickly if we like this little robot or not, so I can send for the Dirt Dog in time to access the free offer. Thank you, again! Imagine the vision of two of these critters going about their business. Ah, it's bon-bon time................... I will post here after it has its first test run!
Quote: I'm able to access all but two of my outlets to unplug my appliances as needed for energy conservation. My dryer and stove though are very hard to reach, and the dryer is on one of those big round type plugs. I can't see the stove plug. I'm wondering how hard it would be to add a switch to those outlets? I've got one for the dishwasher and the T.V. and it is so handy dandy! Great idea! Call an electrician and ask. Depending on your...
Compared to many of the children and adults I've seen in some restaurants, I'd have no problem with sharing my eating space with something as simple as a dog. The majority of pets act better in public than their masters. When we were in Europe, we went to restaurants in Denmark, France and Ireland that allowed dogs (a couple of these places were quite upscale, too). The dogs (all were small frou-frou-types, not a mastiff in sight!) were well-behaved and kept...
We use a family practice physician. Ds has only been to the doc a few times (he's 8 1/2 years old). I am seeing the doc for my thyroid control. The doc thinks it is GREAT that we are homeschooling. He does not ask ds any "educational" questions other than what is his favorite subject or general chit-chat type stuff. Same with the staff. They like the idea of a child advancing at their own individual pace and not having to conform to the crowd. The whole office...
Quote: If you just buy 1 or 2 acres, I'd worry about who is going to buy the other 86 or 87. It might not be the ideal space in 5 years when you're looking at the back of a walmart or a prison. I agree with this completely. And, it's not just because of worries over commercial development (though that could be a concern if there is a chance that that could happen). It's about privacy, too. We live on a large piece of property. I can walk outside...
Off topic: Why would you go to a wedding when you don't actually know the couple getting married??? That's nice that the parents invited you, though I think a wedding should be about friends and family of the bride and groom (in other words, people they actually know), not friends of the parents. If this happened to us, we'd RSVP our regrets and leave it at that. No gift, no card.
Check city code. Also, PLEASE check with your neighbors, and listen and respect what they have to say about it. Before I was married (and, living at home with my folks in the suburbs in Spokane, WA), our neighbor next door purchased 6 chickens. And, a rooster. It was awful. That damned rooster started crowing around 3:00 AM in the Summer and only slightly later in the Winter. Their chickens had free run of their yard. There were flies. It smelled during...
We returned from our Canadian vacation on Saturday. The gal that runs the B&B we stayed in in Calgary has a Roomba and swears by it. Her house is immaculate (a good sign!). She bought her standard model from Canadian Tire. She has both hardwood floors and wall-to-wall carpets (similiar to our home) and said it works great on both. I found several threads here about it, and it sounded pretty good, as well. So, I decided to take the plunge and order one. I got on...
We chose friends over family. Originally, we'd chosen my brother & sil. They are in their very late 50's and have grown children (plus grandchildren). But, we thought they'd be best. My sister & bil are also in their 60's. But, bil has had cancer in the past and is currently delaing with the results of chemo & radiation and we had concerns as to his health (and, my sister has said she would commit suicide should bil die. Not a good sign for a guardian...) ...