or Connect

Posts by grahamsmom98

We returned from our Canadian vacation on Saturday. The gal that runs the B&B we stayed in in Calgary has a Roomba and swears by it. Her house is immaculate (a good sign!). She bought her standard model from Canadian Tire. She has both hardwood floors and wall-to-wall carpets (similiar to our home) and said it works great on both. I found several threads here about it, and it sounded pretty good, as well. So, I decided to take the plunge and order one. I got on...
We chose friends over family. Originally, we'd chosen my brother & sil. They are in their very late 50's and have grown children (plus grandchildren). But, we thought they'd be best. My sister & bil are also in their 60's. But, bil has had cancer in the past and is currently delaing with the results of chemo & radiation and we had concerns as to his health (and, my sister has said she would commit suicide should bil die. Not a good sign for a guardian...) ...
The paper today had an article on how to minimize the pain of your child getting their shots. Here it is: http://spokesmanreview.com/features/story.asp?ID=191683 Of course, dh and I looked at each other and said, "Don't give 'em any!" It was going on about the pain of the needle and how some folks use distractions (blowing bubbles & panting), numbing cream, squirting sugar water into the mouths of infants (!), blah-blah-blah. They comment on how the numbing...
Quote: Hey Mama!: In my family graduating highschool is a big deal. Very few on my relatives have graduated hs, let alone went to college except me and I didn't graduate college. I agree with the above poster that your assumption that a hs diploma isn't worth making a fuss over is classist. Good for you and your family if you all have the opportunity to go to college and get a degree, but for a lot of people that is sometimes an impossible...
Do you send gifts for high school graduations? The thread on a college graduation announcement + recent mail got me thinking about ridiculous high school graduation announcements. Our immediate families do not send out announcements for school completion, high school OR college. WHY the big deal on graduating from high school??? I mean, we (our immediate and extended circle of friends and family) have always believed you are expected to graduate from high...
As the others said. Go to your local garden shop or Target or Wal-Mart or wherever you buy your gardening stuff. Bird netting is available most anywhere. Spread it over your plants and stretch it taut and anchor it!! If it isn't taut, the birds will get caught in it and can injure themselves or die getting entangled in it. We attached our netting to a frame and it works great.
For deer: an 8' fence of welded wire or consistent spraying with a product like DeerAway (this means spraying, without fail, after every rain shower and regularly after using the sprinkler. For rabbits, I don't know, we don't have problems with any! Contact your local county extension agent for suggestions. Good luck!
Check your trees for infestation of insects like aphids. They like to suck the juices from plants (and, trees!) If your have ants, there's a good chance you have aphids as the ants "milk" them for the honeydew they excrete. Get rid of the aphids and, chances are, you'll get rid of the ants! You can also wrap the trunks with tree wrap and smear Tanglefoot on top of the fabric. Tanglefoot will stop ANY creepy crawlies from going up the trunk!
Quote: And ironically, the majority of jobs that test aren't like that at all. Like, who cares if the guy facing the shelves at Walmart is high on pot? And, if he's high and stacking cans incorrectly and they fall over on your child's head, who cares, right?? All for drug testing. At all jobs for all drugs. I sat here and tried to think of a job where drug use wouldn't be a big (or, even, little) deal. I couldn't think of any.
The territory DOES belong to the jays. They may or may not have a nest (probably they have started one), but this IS where they live and they are just trying to protect themselves from predator (the cat AND you). Keep the cat indoors and everyone will be fine.