or Connect

Posts by Ryan

Moms222 I have used oak meadow loosely, off and on for several years. I found that if you have a precocious child it's best to use their curriculum one year ahead. B/c my dd was already reading in "K", I began with OM 2nd grade when she "started first grade." That worked out really well for us. I also used the K curriculum for my son for "preschool." My son didn't really take to the artsy element of OM so I stopped using it with him after his K year. My dd really...
We use SOW by listening to it on CD in the car. It is great when we have long car rides going from one activity to another. I used volume I when my dd was 6 and my ds was 3. My dd liked doing the coloring pages and some of the crafts but we didn't go much further than that. We did take out some of the suggested titles from the library and delved a little further into areas we were interested in. We have now gone back to SOW using Vol II but decided to try the audio CD...
I've been using OM for 3 yrs. We took last year off from it but are using it again this year. I used the K for my preschooler and am now using the 2nd grade with him for 1st grade. I used the 2nd grade with my daughter for 1st and the 3rd grade with her for second. She is now using the 5th grade English/History and 5th grade Environmental Science for 4th grade. I have never used it strictly but I like a lot of their ideas and projects and I like the way they approach...
Shannon When Ike was O's age we got him two sets of zoobs. He just loved them and still plays with them now, though not as much as he did back then. Next time you are over I'll pull them out and you can see what he thinks. I don't know if they still make them or not though. When I was buying them the company was being bought by another larger company and they hadn't decided what would happen to them. You can google it and see if they are still around. I just love...
Hi all. I just joined WW about a week ago. Had my first post-joining WI yesterday. I'm doing online-only since there are no meetings near me that allow me to bring my kids, who I homeschool. I did WW about 5 years ago while I was nursing my son and found it worked well with nursing. Flex points didn't exist then (it was winning points) and I got a bunch of extras for nursing. Don't remember how many though. So far this time I have lost 6#s, but I remember last...
My 7 yo dd is extremely social and getting more so all the time. She joined a whole host of activities but was still wanting more "social time" with friends that she has met within these activities. My 4 yo ds and I were running around like crazy trying to satisfy her needs. Finally, I told her that she needed to cut down to one activity a week so that we would have more time for social playdates and still have some down time at home for my 4 yo and myself. It's only...
I think every child is different. I read to my kids constantly and have since the minute (and I really mean minute) they were born. My oldest was always interested in words, writing, and reading, and learned to read easily. She just turned 7 and is reading around 6th grade level. My youngest (4 yo ds) loves being read to but has absolutely no desire whatsoever to learn to read or to put "pen" to paper. At the age he is now my dd was writing like a fiend and carried a...
I went through the same questions when deciding about swim lessons. Some days my dd would say she would want them and other days she had no desire. I didn't want to push. Oddly enough, last year we moved into a complex with a pool. After taking her daily she figured it out on her own. She turned six last summer. She can still swim underwater better than above and certainly needs improvement but I think another summer at the pool will serve her well. I have told her...
I would agree with Vanna's Mom. I structure our "reading lessons" around the examples in Thogmartin's book. We have been using the Dr Seuss books quite a bit actually. I let my dd pick from the early reader section in the library and she often picks those. She also has a journal which she uses to write a story in every day (also suggested in Thogmartin's book). We have had no need for a handwriting program b/c she loves to write letters and cards all the time but I...
We are using the OM Second Grade curriculum with my Kindergartner/First Grader. She loves it and we have been pretty happy. We do supplement with Miquon Math, which she really enjoys. We went very gradually into using it and are still not following it to the letter, though we will be a bit more structured about it in the fall (at least I'm planning to be anyway). I like the way it focuses on the children's hearts and souls (in a non-religious way). I don't think it is...