or Connect

Posts by meowmix

We are homeschooling starting Monday!  Phew, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by that, but it'll work out. *Saw one grumpy 12 year old off to school *Baked a bundt cake with butternut squash I had in the fridge *Saw girls off to school *Worked for a while *Met husband for lunch *Worked for a bit more *Met one happy 12 year old home from school.  He is happy he isn't going back.  The change in outlook and mood since then has been amazing. *Walked the...
We've missed a few of the kids' birthdays.  Once I went out of town with my husband to a conference and we BOTH missed my son's birthday.  I think I was more upset than he was (he was older, though).  There have been quite a few times where my husband has been traveling over someone's bday.  In those cases the kids and I have a special day with the birthday child and maybe have some cupcakes and sing happy birthday.  And then we might do something more special and bigger...
Tough day yesterday *Did some homeschooling research in the morning (Son wants to homeschool NOW) *Went to a therapy appt *Did more homeschooling research.  Wrote some emails. *Went to my hair appt!  New hair and added a blue streak! *Walked into chaos... son and friend playing video game loudly, DD1 angry over homework, DD2 and friend being hyperactive and asking me 30 billion questions *Helped DD1 with homework. *Dealt with DD2's meltdown about having to wait to...
Mar123, I always thought some boredom was good for kids, too.  But he seems bored in this apathetic kind of "don't know how to get out of it" way.  He isn't interested in alleviating his boredom.  He'd much rather watch DJ videos on Youtube (DJ *is* one interest he has that he hasn't completely given up but these videos usually promote passive watching rather than inspiration to actually DJ or play around on the equipment he has), or play Clash of Clans on his ipod.  But...
Thanks for the reply!  You're right about the surviving.  We have watched all the Survivorman episodes (my younger girls like them, as well) and some Doomsday Preppers.  Son actually put together a Survival Bag in his room.  It's a spare backpack with his swiss army knife, toilet paper , crackers, bottles of water, etc.  I think what is happening right now is that he gets "touched out" at school.  It's overwhelming and noisy and full of people all day.  So he comes home...
 That made me LOL!  At least maybe it wasn't "talk the dog into not being scared of her scary dog dish again"?  lol! Kitchensqueen- You would be surprised what you can do with duct tape and paper clips......  Yesterday was busy, I think:*Throughout the day I did approximately 9 billion loads of laundry.  *Put ear ointment in the newfie's ears.  He has an ear infection right now.  :(*Had the girls help me tidy up the basement and I vacuumed it and vacuumed the stairs that...
 Your day sounded productive!  When you have a child that doesn't sleep through the night, ANY accomplishment that happens can be counted as having a productive day!  My son didn't sleep through the might until, wow... maybe he was 4 or 5 and old enough to bribe.  Not a very mothering.com thing to do, but I was exhausted.  His baby sister was sleeping better than he was!   Maria- I call her nonobadbordercollie or THE bad border collie totally as a term of endearment.  I...
My son is frequently bored.  He is pretty introverted and has a couple friends, but doesn't have a strong desire to spend time with many kids.  We have no kids his age in our neighborhood.  He is frequently, well, bored and has trouble entertaining himself.  So I'm wondering, what do your boys around this age do to entertain themselves?  My son likes to play video games or on his ipod.  He also listens to music and he likes to practice DJing (he has all the setup to create...
 I love your answer!  I, too, don't understand those crazy comments.. especially the "you must have your hands full!"  I don't get them anymore now that the kids are older and I'm not out with all of them at once.  But I used to get comments like that all the time.  And, you know, for a while I couldn't really go eat at a restaurant.  It was just too stressful with 3 kids under 5 years old.  But that was a personal choice and I didn't see it as a problem, really.  We just...
Look through your local parks and rec or community classes.  Many times there are activities there they can try for lower cost.  My daughter has tried out dance classes, art classes, swimming through our local parks and rec.  The YMCA, if you're a member, also has programs at a reduced cost for members.  My kids played baseball through the Little League and they play lacrosse now.  DD1 played soccer for years.  My son tried football for a while.  All our area programs had...