or Connect

Posts by gwinna

Thanks everybody for your insightful replies. I ended up getting my DS "American Idiot" and we've been talking a lot about the lyrics. He, of course, is on top of the world. Again, thanks.
My 7 year old son is now starting to listen to his own music. He's taking guitar lessons, and is loving it. He's going to be rock star. Seriously. It's so cute. He started out learning "Smoke on the Water" and now he's learning Green Day songs and is asking if we can buy the songs on iTunes. His guitar teacher is in an indie band, has long hair in a ponytail, and of course my son thinks he's the coolest guy ever. So my question is about the lyrics. Do you think 7...
He has a couple of loveys that he sleeps with - he really likes holding those. And when he does wake up (after the paci comes out) I pat his chest gently, and then give it right back if he fusses. So I think I have given him some alternative comfort measures. And we always play the same sleepy-time cd when he goes to bed. Yes, we cosleep. And he nurses whenever he wakes in the night, and doesn't ever need the paci back then. It's just when he's getting to sleep for naps...
Agreed. Boob is definitely better. He gets plenty of boob, whenever he wants it. But he doesn't really like to fall asleep nursing, unless it's in the middle of the night, or if he's way tired. Our problems with the paci now are that he wakes up when it falls out and obviously now at just four months can't find it to put it back. And the problem that he's waking up for it. It would be great if he can get back to sleep on his own, without the paci (that is, unless he's...
Yeah, I hear you. But the 10 hour night he had was without the paci. And his sleep has been better since I've been taking it out as he falls asleep. Which may be coincidence, I suppose, it's always hard to know. But tonight stinks. He wouldn't let me take the paci (15-20 times at first) then has been waking up every 15 minutes or so. Sometimes he'll fall asleep when one of us just pats him on the chest, sometimes he needs the paci back again. But I'm taking it out again so...
I've got a pretty easy-going little fella. He goes to sleep on his own (well, with his paci) and sleeps fairly well (usually one 5 hour stretch per night). But he really loves his paci. I would really like to break his association with paci=sleep, but am having a hard time. I've been trying the Pantley-Pulloff from NCSS, but it's really hard being consistent about this during the day, since I have two other kids that need attention and can't spend enough time to work on...
Thanks everybody for your experiences. I was just at the doctor yesterday for my baby's well-baby exam, and he gave me the thumbs up to expose him. He said two months or under would be too young, but now that he's three months and thriving his immune system is more developed and that he would most likely get a pretty mild case of the pox. So I think I'm going to try and get it from some friends who exposed their kids this last round. Thanks again!
I probably wouldn't send him either. He could use the rest to recoup, and fever often comes back in the afternoon. And you really don't want to pass that on - it's no fun...
I don't know if this is still an issue for you, but I'm in a similar situation. I have a 14 week old baby and two older kids - 4 and 7. The chicken pox is out there now, and I have the possibility to expose them to it in a couple weeks (missed this last round, but still have contacts). I was just at my doctor's today for a well-baby exam, and he said it was just fine to expose him - that if he was under 2 months it would be risky, but since he's over 3 months, it should be...
Well, I guess this has become a non-issue, at least for this time around... my 7yo has been sick all weekend, with a fever and some vomiting and general malaise. So we couldn't attend a pox party if we wanted to. I guess we'll have to wait for the next opportunity. Thanks for all your replies and advice. I think next time we'll try for it.