or Connect

Posts by boobear

There's some great advice here. I have a 13 yr old DSD (almost 14), generally a good kid, very bright. I'd recommend a good family therapist for a few sessions if it's possible. You never know what will help, here's some things that I've done/learned with my three girls. What I've been learning, which may help, at this age is all about "will" and "counter-will". She needs to feel like she is making the decisions or she will say no to many of your requests. She...
We like to take a "flashlight walk" but my youngest is almost 4, and she gets a little scared of the dark. We've often enjoyed going to one of the large bookstores for coffee and browsing. The kid sections can be fun (some have toy tables or mini stages and a romp area), many also offer storytimes by children book authors. Check their websites. It's also a good time to go visit someone for an hour
Here's two more: Willow Tree Toys: http://www.willowtreetoys.com/ Chinaberry: http://www.chinaberry.com/index.cfm?tid=407051601
What a riot! More power to this lady of 6
Our K class mom collected $5 for each teacher (18 kids) and bought a gift card to a local merchant. I then sent my dd in with a box of chocolate for her two teachers. I also gave a tin of choc covered nuts to the bus drivers, nice guys, probably not paid well. I think it's good for my dd to "give" to those around her that help her through her days. I agree with teachma post about how much the teachers spend with our kids every day. And, if you have a good teacher,...
oliversmum2000, Jamie Oliver is great (I'm a fan), uses simple ingredients that pack lots of flavor Deirdre, when I lived in NoCA I read lots about Alice Waters and the local schools and hoped that one day when I had kids they might have the same offerings. I'm pretty sure she's influenced a lot of other schools since then. Our school hired a woman from CA (Berkeley area if I recall) to create a healthy menu. I read about it back in Sept and have forgotten...
Start a tradition with her and take her out somewhere. Lunch, early dinner, movie or a local play. Other ideas, depending on your lifestyle, hikes, ice skating, help you do volunteer work (senior home, animal shelter). You could tie this in with maybe a charm bracelet and get her a charm every year that relates to the activity. My 5 year old would love this kind of attention from one of her aunts, but my sisters are busy with their own broods
I made sure mine ate well all day today before trick or treating. Tonight they ate 5 or 8 pieces each and then went to bed. Between their candy and what we have left in our halloween dish, I'll be sending about half of it to our school. The school sent backpack mail home which asks for candy donations for some sort of charity. And so as not to short-change their fun night tonight, I'll let them pick out of their halloween bags for the next few nights. I'm not...
With all the kids in our neighborhood I thought we'd get a bunch more but, sadly, they all to into town for candy. It's the "thing" around here, the main part of town (shops and homes) decorate and hand out candy. But I've heard it gets so crowded that kids wait on line at each place to "trick or treat". I walked my little ones around our quiet neighborhood and they loved it. All the homes we stopped at were so happy to see some kids! And few were well decorated to...
Give this a shot (I've been to this site a few times over the years, it's got some good ideas): http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/70dollarmenu.htm I'm not a fan of red meat so I went through and replaced it with fish or white meat. I think it just helped me to see someone's version of weekly menu planning and shopping list within a certain budget.