or Connect

Posts by Harry's Mom

I haven't been here in a long time, but I need some help.  My son has just been diagnosed with a palm oil allergy, and palm is in EVERYTHING!  I'm looking for one comprehensive list of ingredients that I can watch for when shopping.  Palm goes by many other names, and it's in most health care products as well as food.  Anyone got ideas?
Depending on what you need the evaluation for - we just had a great eval. at the May Institute in Randolph. They handle kids on the autism spectrum, but they do other work as well: behavioral issues, developmental disabilities, brain injury, etc. They were very professional and we didn't have to wait too long to get in. Check out www.mayinstitute.org. Good luck!
Hi Moms! I need to find a kid-friendly spot in the Berkshires to meet friends coming in from out of town next week. A playground with space to run around and good play structures is all we really need, but a pavilion or gazebo in case of rain would help and so would rest rooms. Maybe a park with a beach or a stream? Kid-friendly museums? Something near I-90 would be better than anything up toward North Adams. In the past we've done the Rockwell Museum and the...
Ok, well I guess that means I need to skip it! Thank you!!!!!!! B
Wow, how scary. My son (age 5) had lyme last summer so I started learning more about it then, and my dad's had it twice. It's different for every person depending on how long they've had it, but I think it's always treatable. This is one of those diseases where even if you don't like to take prescriptions, you need to follow the doctor's instructions and take the antibiotic and whatever else they recommend. I met one woman who's 12 yr old daughter had it for years and...
Thanks! Any one else got experience with it? B
HI! I haven't posted here in ages, but I'm having some minor out patient surgery in two weeks and I'm anxious about it. I usually take kava kava in small doses for anxiety. I need to know if it acts as a blood thinnner because if it does, I can't take it between now and then. Does anyone know for certain if it's safe/acts as a blood thinner/has any other side effects that would interfere with surgery? (I will be under a general anesthetic.) I have a prescription...
Hi! I have individual rhubarb pie "bites" ready for a school function tomorrow. They are very wet and sticky. (They were supposed to be "bars." Should I refrigerate them? Leave them at room temperature? By tomorrow they're going to be one gooey mess. (That's ok, folks can eat them with a fork) but I don't know if I should leave them out or uncovered or not? Can I dry them out somehow? There are eggs in them, so maybe they should go in the fridge? Any feedback...
Thanks for your feedback! I think the school thinks that desensitizing is a valid treatment for SPD (and I think they don't know what else to do) but I'm confident that there are much larger underlying issues that need to be addressed first. DS's particular issues make it hard for him to fully access some classroom activities: art projects, the sensory table, playground equipment, snacks, PE, etc. so I'm hoping they'll at least recognize that his sensory issues do...
Hi! Need some help here. I've got an IEP meeting coming up this week for DS, who is 5. We want DS's SPD to be more fully addressed in his IEP in a public school where the staff have no background or training in sensory issues. State law requires them to "accomodate" him but not to treat him in this area. The only thing currently written into his IEP to deal with his sensory issues is "use of desensitizing strategies" and "gradual, methodical over exposure to genuine...