or Connect

Posts by mamafly

I've known dsd for about two years, and took a really big role in her life over the last year. I think it was a little abrupt, but I do also think that we'll develop more of a bond as time goes on. thank you for the feedback mamas. it really is great to hear from other people who understand how complex blended family dynamics can be!
I've considered going to work full time. I'm still almost EBFing and have never had a high pumping output, so that would be an issue, but the bigger issue is that I don't think I could find a job that would pay nearly as well as Dh's. He's the second in command, and I just don't think I could get an income that would even approach his. And cost of living here is really bad (coastal california). He is pretty helpful with dsd, but I've felt like the more I've taken...
Last school year I was sahm to my infant son, and sah-step mama to dh's almost-six year old daughter. It turned out to be a situation that I thought was inappropriate for myself and my family. I went from having no kids to having two, I was unable to get the support of other first-time moms because they were never available to do the things I needed to do to keep dsd thriving, and I couldn't connect with moms of kids her age because, well, I didn't really have one. Not...
God, all this talk makes me want a nice glass of guinness! I've only drank a couple times since ds was born, and it wasn't much. Two drinks has been enough to get me tipsy and giggly. Ds has woken up while I was tipsy and wanted to nurse, and I did feel guilty about it. But he didn't sleep any longer than normal or seem different in any other way. I think that when that situation arises again, I will not feel guilty about it. I never felt that I was harming him, but...
I am not as physically comfortable with my 6 year old dsd as I would be with my own child. I think this is normal and natural, but can still be awkward. I am breastfeeding my 9 month old ds, and dsd is really curious about the whole process. She's very interested in breasts and wants to touch mine, which I understand but still find inapropriate. I have told her not to, trying to explain it in such a way that she does not feel it is because she isn't mine, but rather...
I agree. Sometimes we step-parents need a reminder, but we also need understanding--it is really hard raising someone else's kid. I'm not sure why it's so hard, but it is. I assume that your dh wants to be the best step-dad he can be and would be open to your suggestion that he consider his actions. But you have to be open to him saying that this really is how he would treat his own son. Then, if you feel really strongly about whatever actions he's taking, you can...
God, I love you ladies!!! It's so great to hear other mamas echoing the same feelings I've had. I am sm to an almost-six year old dsd and I have a 9 month old ds. I'm not sure I qualify for this thread, but I FEEL like I do. Dsd is only with us 50/50, but paying for childcare is dh's responsibility and since I've been a SAHM, I volunteered to stay at home with dsd also, to save the cash and to bond with her. BOY has it been tough! I completely hear the...