or Connect

Posts by cyndimo

Also - Mollie Katzen has a series of kid's cookbooks that are mostly snacks, so they can be made when nobody is starving and trying to put dinner on the table. The recipes all have 2 versions: one that looks like a regular recipe for the grownup and one that is formatted for a kid to follow, and there are setup notes for the grownup to make it all go smoothly.
Thank you all for the validation. The teacher has told me that he's "outside her experience" - which makes me think that we need to find someone with more experience. I think that she's looking for ADD, ADHD, Sensory Integration Disorder or Autism. I think that she would like to be able to say "for children with condition X, you need to do Y." She values classroom management and really pushes kids/families out that don't fit her mold. I am around DS all the time, so I...
I'm having some issues with my DS's preschool teacher. My feeling is that he is a normal 3.5yo boy who is very spirited and an only child. She's concerned that there's a special need we need to pin-point. I'm curious what you all think of the following: He's not at all good at sitting at circle. Occasionally, the topic will grab him, but often he doesn't want to hold hands when they do ring-around-the-rosie and what not. And, sometimes when he doesn't sing in the...
I'm not very good at having my little sous chef around, but I'm working on it because he loves it soooo much. Right now, he almost always gets to run the food processor and open cans. I try to have my kitchen clean enough and set up the cooking show thing, where everything is pre-measured and in its own little bowl. The other day we made chili, which was mostly rinsing the beans and then dumping a bunch of cans and (premeasured) spices into a pan. He LOVED it and was...
With my 3.5yo, I can buy a few minutes here and there by setting a timer. It seems like lately, the microwave rules my life! I can tell him that I will play with him in 5 minutes and that I'll set a timer. then, I'll tell him that I can play with him for 10 minutes and I'll set a timer. and so on... For many things, if the timer says so, it must be time. But, if Mommy says so, then it's open to "negotiation" (read: tantrum). This also works pretty well for when it's...
Enjoy! I studied in Budapest for a semester in college and had a great time! As we would have said at the time "jealous vagok!" (sp??)
When DS was little I used the CA Baby sensitive shampoo for body and hair and also the conditioner, which I'd often leave in or only kind of rinse out. I used a bunch of different hair moisturizers - sometimes whatever I could find in the "ethinc" aisle of the drug store, or shea butter (which I found hard to work with). He's now 3 and I use the Alaffia shampoos and conditioners and coconut oil after a bath. Congrats on your family! Cyndi
In my area, there seems to be a potentially long wait (for private adoptions, based on birth parent choices; for county adoptions based on the needs of specific children) for healthy (or mostly healthy) newborns or infants of any race. FWIW - we waited for just over a year and were very open to any race infant. As far as I know, the parents of white kids in my IRL support group were also open to any race. I do know that there are areas of the country that are much...
My feeling is that we shouldn't be using "birth certificates" for the DMV, border crossings, etc. Sort of like the movement to get the government out of the marriage business and have civil unions for all and religious marriage for those that want it, I think that a system could be estabilshed where everyone has a birth certificate which is a factually accurate statement about a child's birth AND a parenting certificate (or some such name) that demonstrates who the legal...
We do a lot of celebrating in December... I'm Jewish, DP is Catholic. What we generally do is give the "big" gifts for Winter Solstace/Yule, since the solstace is pretty universal and not religious. We started this tradition before DS came along. (So far, for DS they haven't been that thrilling... his first year it was a baby gate for around the fireplace, I don't remember the second year, last year it was a $30 train set and this year will likely be his twin bed.) We...