or Connect

Posts by sabrinat

Quote: Originally Posted by hippiemommaof4 family of seven here and i feed us for 6-700 a month all of the time, 1000 dollars is a lot of money even for us for food lol. i make a two week menu for all meals breakfast lunch,snacks, and dinner that helps the most.we make pizza from scratch,spaghetti,breads,muffins, and all other baked goods. a well stocked pantry with staple items is your friend. Similar here. We're 6 and I spend about...
Quote: Originally Posted by mazajo It looks like Brio or Imaginarium to me. Which are perfectly compatible with Thomas, just half the price. Sounds like a good deal for $60, but I personally would not drive 2 hours for it, but that's just me, I hate to drive. Plus you have to figure in the gas to drive that far in the cost. What's the chances of another good train table being posted within the next couple months that might be closer to you? I see them...
Is it just the chairs that are a problem? How about posting on freecycle and seeing if you can get some newish ones? I love the idea of mixed matched chairs all painted for a cohesive look. I personally think the novelty of sitting on the floor to eat would wear off fast, but that's just me.
Quote: Originally Posted by luv-my-boys I am finally getting around to decorate my kitchen after living here a yr. I have decided on a green apple color to help brighten that space. I would LOVE to do a lemon/lime decor. I am looking for fabric online with lemons. I saw yrs ago a similar fabric but for the life of me I cant remember who makes it. I want a print that isnt cartoony but more like a drawing of a lemon kwim? I plan on sewing some...
Quote: Originally Posted by sewchris2642 I like the Singer Reference Library of books--lots of clear, step by step photos with captions. Also the Simply the Best sewing book by Simplicity is good. So is the Reader's Digest sewing book (not the exact title). If you really want a sewing course in a book, get the Bishop Method of Sewing, either edition. http://www.amazon.com/Bishop-Method-.../dp/0397401302 It's dated as it went out of print in the 60s...
Quote: Originally Posted by slsurface I was avoiding this forum for a while because I found it all too grim, but in doing so I missed this great thread before! : I have virtually NO decorating or remodeling budget. DH and I are pretty handy, so we do a lot on our own. Like other people mentioned, my house is decorated with hand-me-downs, secondhand, and garbage finds. In the 9.5 years that DH and I have been married, we've only ever purchased 4 new...
Quote: Originally Posted by Serenyd I have an old sewing machine I've had since I was teenager. I haven't used it in about 5 yrs. I know the bobbin threader doesn't work anymore. I want to start using it again to do some simple sewing projects but I'm not sure if I should take it in for maintenance first, or just buy a whole new machine. It has a plastic casing on it. WDYT? Are the gears plastic or nylon? I might get something newer if it's...
auto thread cutter and needle up/down stop. I love those two features. Speed control is nice too, but you can sort of do that with your foot pedal anyway. My machine does some crazy amount of decor stitches, but I never use them. I do like the auto buttonhole feature though so I guess that would be something I'd want to have in a new machine.
try the search feature in this forum. This question get asked a couple times/month and I think you'll get a lot of great recommendations.
Good for you for wanting to learn. Can you take a class either through the community college or a local sewing shop? What about posting an ad on CL? Feel free to pm me. I'd be happy to mentor you. I sew tons and mostly for my kids.