or Connect

Posts by GalateaDunkel

I hope you've taken the baby in by now - even to the ER if that's all you can get on the weekend. Infections are what antibiotics are FOR, and you can always use probiotics if you are worried about his gut. If you wait until it starts to spread it could easily be too late in a child that small. If it gets into his bloodstream, then in such a tiny body it will spread like wildfire and you could easily have a hospitalized child on IV antibiotics. You also don't want to...
  It's inappropriate to put people on the spot about their ethnic background, even if the comment is supposedly positive. It indicates that you are viewing them through the frame of race rather than as an individual. Even if you mean it well, consider how many other people are making such well-meaning comments as well; it adds up to the person feeling like other people want to talk about their ethnicity ALL THE TIME, which can feel like a racist situation even if the...
Given that your house is cold, I would eat it (after reheating it much more aggressively than if I was just heating something 'cause I want it to taste hot). If it were the middle of summer that would be another thing. I would not give it to a baby though. In fact I would hesitate to give any ground meat to a little one, unless I had ground it myself.
Sounds like you worked it out, but I'm still reeling on the concept of a white girl lecturing an elder woman of color on racial sensitivity. If racial sensitivity is really important to you, you might want to spend some time thinking about why you, as a white person, even thought it was your prerogative to go there. (FWIW I am white, my partner is not.)
You have an academically normal (or advanced?) nine year old who's never been allowed to use a computer? And doesn't have a library card?  
What karne said. I grew up in an urban environment, it was always just a given that there were certain places we couldn't go because rough characters hung out there or whatever. This gave me no lasting damage or hang-ups. In fact, knowing who and what to avoid is one of the essential skills of living in the city. Just going anywhere on the theory that you "should" be able to is just unwise.
Frankly, the combination of the inequity of power that's just an intrinsic part of this arrangement, AND that you say your husband is touchy about it and you fear "chaos" if you put your foot down, is a big red flag for me. The "peace" you keep by buckling under may be a false one. If it's not this, inevitably it will be something else.
Your DN sounds a lot like my daughter at that age. It was very hard for me to handle her, we didn't get out much, and I don't blame you (or your DH) if it's too much on top of your own kids. (Although it may seem unkind to make an abrupt change in your arrangements - perhaps there will be a natural transition when the gymnastics class ends.) I must say though that I don't believe that delays are caused by "babying." I think that babying is often a response to delays. If...
I do think you have an absolute obligation to raise the child Jewish. Respecting the wishes of the dead is a value that cuts across religious lines. I am not so sure your take on Judaism vs. other religions is necessarily adequate. Unlike some strains of Christianity, Judaism does not get hung up on criticizing other faiths or how "wrong" they supposedly are. Judaism does not teach that you have to be Jewish to be a good person or that non-Jews should become Jewish....
You're not doing your kids any favors by deliberately spending long hours in an environment where they are verbally and physically abused. Really I think 10 is too young to learn to "deal" or get some kind of life lesson out of being addressed as "bitch." As a parent my first priority would be to shield my kid from having to hear that in the first place. The "exhilaration" you describe is her getting hooked into the drama. It's actually not a good sign. It may be some...