or Connect

Posts by jessica

Fill me in. A social worker who was talking to me yesterday about my daughter's speech therapy evaluation mentioned it and told me that it would tell us not to be vegetarian anymore . . . ??? Is there ANY truth to that? I'd be interested, but if it's going to tell me to eat meat, I'll tell it to shut down the factory farming industry first, and I don't think we'll get anywhere.
Now, hook me up here, I don't Get It. Is there a REASON that all the fleece slings I see online are tube-style slings??? Because a friend and I intend to hit Malden Mills soon and make ourselves fleece slings for winter, maybe even one with Windpro, but we both hate tube slings, we prefer the type with rings. Can they not "grip" the metal rings properly? The slings we've done thus far have all been MayaWrap style. Or is there another reason why everyone uses tube...
Okay, which way is it? I've heard it two ways: * Covering is a cultural practice in many countries that predominantly Muslim. * Covering is a religious practice in Islam. I'm really curious. I've also heard that women won't uncover for any reason in public but will happily breastfeed in public, which I like, being lactivist and all. I find all this fascinating, I've always found Jewish ritual interesting, although I have my own feminist misgivings about...
NM -- I live in New Hampshire. Yes, I've considered running away, I'm tired of fighting the good fight, particularly when it involves my kids constantly the way that fighting the good fight does, you know. I have a feeling that I am not the Ideal Pagan Poster Child. For gods' sake, I'm a polyamorist on top of everything else. The way I live my life, to them, is evil. I can see this, although I don't really happen to think it's anyone's business but mine. However,...
Oh, I certainly don't care about whether kids my kids are playing with are Christian, although I am concerned about what they see in their friends' homes -- i.e. evangelical households, where my kid got yelled at for arguing with a boy and also not being willing to play in the play-kitchen. But as long as the parents aren't exceptionally weird (and I've never seen this strict-assignment-of-gender-roles from secular parents, but that may just be my experience), I...
We're actually university students, and the university's as conservative as the town. Depressing. I just find it hard because I refuse to hide my pentacle. I'm sorry, but if people wear crosses, I WILL wear a pentacle. (Although I haven't been wearing it this last week or so, mostly because, well, Julianne got to the chain and made it into a knot. Like a really BIG knot, and I need to go buy a sturdier chain ) We live a very different life than other people...
To say that my home city is conservative would be the understatement of the year. My husband and I are polyamorist pagans in an area that often openly affiliates itself with "traditional family values". Life is interesting. What I'm wondering is how other people raise their kids pagan in religious and/or very conservative areas. I've explained to people that she has to miss certain days of school (i.e. Samhain) because it's a religious holiday, or that sure, it's...
They do this at my daughter's Montessori school as well -- they discuss each year of the child's life as the child walks around the sun however many years they've been alive. Parents come in on this day and show pictures from each year that the child describes. That's pretty much it, though.
I've been having a problem with my 4 1/2 year old daughter and her Montessori schooling. In short, she's not motivated. They take their 5 year olds into a full-day kindergarten to give them extra attention (although frankly I could live without the blunt preparation for public school -- not for my child thankyouverymuch) in the afternoon, while the younger ones spend a half day. I was told this morning that she's not ready for it. I'm not too surprised, I started...