or Connect

Posts by JavaFinch

Sarah, Getting a test to rule out Horner's Syndrome is good - a regular eye drop test won't work.  You have to do a Cocaine test (unless there is something newer since the info I'm telling you is from 4.5 years ago) to test for Horner's Syndrome.  As stated in the above convo with the doctor, a type of eye drop normally used is not safe for infants (DD's doctor was actually going to use when I told him I thought it was unsafe - he then talked with other docs and got...
He's a darling :)  If you take him into bright light, do both his pupils constrict and then look equal?  My DD's looked equal in outdoor or bright light (both small) but inside in dimmer light they became unequal - so it was a problem with the smaller pupil not dilating, not with the big pupil.
Hi Sarah, My daughter is 5 now - how time flies!  They did a cocaine test on her eyes and it really looked 'unequivocol' for Horner's Syndrome (her doctor called it negative but I still saw a difference in the size).  They also did an MRI and urine catecholamine testing - her eye doctor would have just blown the whole thing off but I was concerned about scary things I'd read online and didn't want to take any chances.  It all ended up that they couldn't find anything...
This is frustrating to me not knowing *WHY* my kids are like this. My son and daughter both had the following type of head growth.  Son's head at 20-week u/s was 50th percentile, then a later u/s it was bigger and then at birth bigger still.  My daughter was a month early and her head was very small, 10th, but she was small everywhere (bad placenta/knot/not getting nutrients), but by her due date her head was much bigger and continued up the chart. DS is off the...
I think the 'mom enough' thing isn't a GOOD thing from the tone of this headline.  To me it seems to imply that AP is mother over-load.    Maybe the mom thought she was doing a lactivism piece (and I haven't read the article) but it doesn't seem overly positive to me - looks to be trying for shock value and I would guess that more people who didn't really care one way or another about 'extended' breastfeeding are even LESS open to the idea after seeing that cover. 
I am not going to pretend to be an expert but in my searching for a breed to get I did read some things about the doggy odor being stronger for many hound breeds or any dog that has an oily coat ('water dog').  We used to have Basset Hounds and they did get smelly.  I chose a Collie and they are supposed to be less smelly than many breeds.  But other than that, I would encourage you to just google something like 'dog breeds least smelly' or 'dog breeds doggy odor' and...
I know eventually we'll probably have to resort to Frontline but I'd like to hold off as long as possible with our new puppy (getting him in 9 days!).  I'll be using a tick comb for everyday use around the yard (we have a LOT of ticks around us) but especially if he's in an area where there are even more of them, I'd like to use some sort of repellent - which ones work with the least toxicity to the dog and to humans who will be grooming/petting the dog?  Any tried and...
Yes, totally!  I did get used to it after awhile and it didn't bother me as much, or maybe it just got less obnoxious as the book went on.  Strangely, I didn't 'hate' the character, per se, due to it but moreso was just rolling my eyes at the author and her thesaurus, lol ;)  (or maybe she really does talk that way, who knows!)
What jumped out to me was 'tally marks' ... we just switched to Teaching Textbooks Math 5 for DS, who is 12 and has NLD.  Math has been hard for him and he is now a PRO at tally marks!  He couldn't get them for the longest time.  I'm not saying this to say your son might have a LD but just saying that not knowing how to use tally marks hasn't harmed my son, and now he knows them.  He's 12 - when he's an adult and needs to use them for something, nobody will care *when*...
Thanks for all the replies.  I ended up getting antibiotics today.  I know she isn't necessarily infected, but her symptoms are right in line timewise and with her exposure ... I just have a gut feeling.  Maybe I'm wrong.  Anyway, it's a done deal.  Hopefully I'm not making a mistake.  I know one thing, I am NOT willing to stay quarantined for the entire length of her illness, so either way she's going to need antibiotics if she does have it - and if she just has a...