or Connect

Posts by earthmama369

Quick update:   The first day of school got moved back six days because of the hurricane. We got power back the same day the school did. But the bright side of this is that we had a few extra days to hang out with the neighbor's kids, one of whom is going into the same grade and school as DS. She's totally stoked about starting kindergarten, and for the first time, DS is showing some excitement too. This is such a relief! When he doesn't want to do something, he can dig...
School got pushed back here because of the hurricane, but they had their open house yesterday and I got a chance to look through the books that DD (age 6, homeschooler going into 2nd grade) will be using. The first chapter of the math book was all review work. It was a national publisher, so I imagine that's pretty normal. It was when I was teaching, though that was some years ago. (That said, just about everything in the math book looked like skills and concepts that DD...
That school sounds atrocious. As a professional educator or administrator specializing in working with young children, if you can't identify and roll with completely normal developmental behaviors, you're in the wrong field. They sound willfully out of touch.
My 6-year-old is starting second grade on Tuesday and my 5-year-old is starting kindergarten. I ran into some health issues that made homeschooling very difficult last year and DD opted to try a semester of first grade last spring and another year of school starting this fall. After that, she wants to go back to homeschooling. DS still wants to homeschool, but in the last few days has started to get excited about going to kindergarten. I was really worried about him, but...
DD didn't get a supply list this year (second grade), and DS's kindergarten teacher only asked for 4 large glue sticks. Apparently she did so many projects with the kids last year that the school cut her off from the glue supply in April. So she asked if we could send some extras in. *lol*   That only came to $8. I spent another $50 or so on things that we'll probably end up using around the house -- notebooks, crayons and markers, graph paper for games, things like...
We hardly see my ILs as it is. If DH were to die (perish the thought), we might see MIL and one of my SILs in passing while visiting my family (they live in the same town), and maybe on my kids' birthdays, but that would probably be it and it would largely be at my instigation.   If I were to die, my family would most likely still be very involved in DH's life and with our kids. DH gets along well with them and they genuinely love him. We see them a lot, through...
The state we live in mandates enough consumer protection that I don't feel the need to buy a warranty. For the types of tech we buy, if a part's defective, it's most likely going to malfunction within the first year. Warranties also tend to come with restrictions on the kind of damage they'll cover (and it's usually not kid-induced damage, which is most likely for us) that make them a bad buy for us.   My laptop did have a serious connection problem about 10 months...
We don't go out for dinner very often, but when we do, we make sure it's something we're really going to enjoy. We usually spend $10-$15 per kiddo (we have two) and $10-$25 per adult. Generally we either share an appetizer or don't get one (or order appetizers for the kids' entrees), drink water, and either have dessert at home or stop for an ice cream cone on the way home. Huh. I guess that's not very much, especially for the quality of food we tend to go for -- usually...
DS is starting kindergarten in a few weeks. He has SPD (SID) but despite two tries, does *not* have an IEP. I'm pretty nervous about this. The main reason (besides school budget, which I suspect was a big one) is that he is about +7 years in language ability and has overcome an articulation disorder, so the school district is figuring that he's going to be able to manage coping skills enough to handle school. Because intelligence in one area = coping skills??...
Theft is theft. Call the police.