or Connect

Posts by earthmama369

I have two kiddos who are gifted, one of whom also has sensory processing disorder and a (mostly resolved) articulation disorder. SPD runs in the family, as it turns out, and probably autism as well. I have two close family members who are older and have never been diagnosed, but both are off-the-charts intelligent with major "quirks" that make daily life pretty challenging for them.   It's been an interesting road, having two children who are a bit outside the norm,...
My dd is crazy extroverted and has a ton of energy. She had a blast homeschooling for as long as I could keep up with her. She participated in several homeschool co-ops (sometimes at the same time), took various homeschool classes and joined local activities, and saw a ton of friends every week. It was actually pretty easy to homeschool her -- she had a strong sense of her own direction, I just had to follow along!   An average week during her "K" year looked...
I would be PISSED if someone came onto my property and pulled/killed the dandelions. I know they spread like crazy, but it's really, really not ok to treat someone else's property like your own and make decisions for them.   My mother hates dandelions. She's not religious about having the '50s suburb dream lawn -- all imported grass seed and pesticides, nothing local or organic -- she just thinks dandelions are brash and too bright. We love dandelions. I think they...
We don't have AC. We're in southern New England, so while it gets pretty icky (90s and very humid in the summer), it's not as hot as the more southern states. With an aging power grid, there are regular brownouts during the summer primarily because of air conditioning use, so we haven't bothered. We have a ceiling fan and a bunch of box fans, and I keep the drapes drawn against the sun when it's really hot. It helps that we have a concrete floor and no cellar in this...
You are my kind of crazy.  
I'm happy to see this thread here. I was just thinking about starting one tonight. My dd asked me if I wanted to go on a Mother's Day hike and I would LOVE to, but I can't and was bummed to have to say no.   I've had some fibro symptoms for a couple decades now, but the full-on onset was 3.5 years ago and I was finally diagnosed last summer. I'm on a handful of meds and have pretty limited mobility and stamina. Apparently I fall on the severe end of the spectrum and...
Plenty of pouting and whining (a distinctly *six* phenomenon), but she only really cries maybe a couple times a week tops, usually when she's overtired and feeling easily frustrated or emotionally fragile. So when it happens, it's usually late afternoon or early evening when she's just hit her wall and needs some cuddles and a quick bedtime.
Add me to the crowd saying that I would accept the apology but still ask her to move the car.   The neighbors across the street and one down have a bad habit of parking both on the side of the road where parking is banned *and* on our side right in front of our driveway. In the last five years I've been late for work multiple times, as has dh, late for doctor's appointments, and have had to bundle infants and toddlers in and out of the cold while tracking down the...
There may not be anything you can say. She's in a rough spot and I'm sure she's well aware of it. If she's over 400 pounds *and* has fibromyalgia, she probably can't even go on a walk after dinner without ending up in a fair amount of pain. Medications may be contributing to her weight gain in a couple of ways. I have severe fibromyalgia and just started meds last year. With the addition of two meds that are prescribed off-list pretty often for fibromyalgia, I gained 30...
Check out hooping tricks on youtube, or someplace like hoopnicity. There are some great videos out there. (Did you know you can set kevlar wicks into a hoop and spin fire with it? Fun!!! [With safety training, of course.] There are clear hoops with LEDs inside them for night hooping, too. Gorgeous.)   If you're just starting, a bigger diameter is your friend. The hoop I started on is ridiculously large, but that slower rotation gives you more of a chance to figure...