or Connect

Posts by earthmama369

We're "the fun yard" on our cul-de-sac because we actually have toys out. Several neighbors are comfortable with their kids and grandkids going out of the yard without supervision or permission, so we end up with a crowd at times. Kids are kids, and kids are generally awesome, but I have no problem drawing a firm line when my kids need their yard and toys to be their own for a while. A cheerful "OK, y'all, it's time to go home; we're going to have some family time"...
It's totally a Frankstein experiment, but if you add blue or green food coloring to the tofu, freeze it, and then microwave it, it takes on the texture and appearance of Muppet brains. This has been a big hit on Halloween around here.
I have two kiddos who have been homeschooled from the beginning. DD is now 6 and DS will be 5 in a couple of months. I was diagnosed with severe fibromyalgia last summer and I went from being able to take my super-social DD to multiple activities and co-ops a day, every day, to not being able to drive more than a couple of times a week. We tried one semester of homeschooling at home and she and I nearly went crazy. She really needs a lot of social exposure and she...
I'd go public and go big if they pursue spraying. Using a broad spectrum pesticide on the organic garden of their own university staff with a young child in residence? That's mucho bad publicity for a university marketing itself as "green." I'd contact the university president, the university newspaper, the local community newspaper, the environmental studies department, the human resources department...pretty much everyone. Get enough people involved and asking...
We just introduced the kids to chicken for the first time a couple days ago. They're 6 and nearly 5 years old. I've been some variation of veg/pescatarian for nearly 30 years, going back to eggs with my first pregnancy and seafood with my second pregnancy. Recently, dh felt the need to explore the idea of local, humanely-raised meat over soy products shipped from a different continent, with the huge carbon footprint that entails. He asked the kids if they'd be willing to...
We put in salvaged untreated pine six years ago. The wood is probably more like 10 years old. It held up fine until last year, and then started to crumble a little bit. Pine's a soft wood, so I've just mixed the wood crumbles in with the soil. Instant compost/mulch action. It still looks good on the outside, and I figure we've got another 2-3 years before any of the boards actually need to be replaced. It's been a good investment.
I think it depends on the parent-child combo as well, and on the intensity of a particular need. (Can you tell I'm one of those SPD mamas coming out of the woodwork to comment on your post?) ;)   One of my kiddos is diagnosed with SPD and if he were the son of the guy down the street with nigh-on infinite energy who loves to do hands-on projects all the time, he'd probably never have been diagnosed. On the flipside, if he were the son of my parents instead of their...
Depending on the child/parent in question, I alternate between having sympathy for them and wanting to lend them one of my darlings for a day so they can see what high needs is all about. Sometimes I span the bridge and feel both! *lol* Having two kids who, in completely different ways, have garnered comments from friends and acquaintances along the lines of "Wow, better you than me," I can see how high needs can come to play in a number of different ways and I'm sure I...
I would definitely, definitely call the police and CPS. Say that his parole does, for some reason, allow him to live with minor children and that he did actually update his address with the registry and they just haven't updated their website yet. If that's the case, then he's not going to get in trouble. But he was CONVICTED of AGGRAVATED sexual assault of an EIGHT-year-old. Common sense dictates that precautions be taken here.
We follow a basic precept in our decision making -- cause no harm. (An it harm none, do as you will. I.e., free will with a heaping side of personal responsibility.) Because I've had some pretty severe health consequences due to vaccines, there's a reasonable chance that vaccinating our children will cause more harm than good. Weighed against the realistic symptoms of most VPDs, the chances came out in favor of not vaccinating, at least while they're young.