or Connect

Posts by earthmama369

We don't vax. We go to every well-child visit. One doesn't necessarily equal the other.
OP, I feel very much like you. In the last three years, I've gone from being a homeschooling mama who works PT and has her own side business and participates fully in creating and maintaining our home and yard to a woman whose husband works FT and does 90% of the household chores and whose young children are in school FT. I go to doctor's appointments and rest and take a lot of mind-altering medication. I'm not happy to be in this position and I'm working really hard to...
I really admire dh's reponse to stuff like this. He'll laugh like the person just said the funniest thing ever and come back at them with some crazy statement that just throws the whole tone of the conversation. For example:   "You almost ruined the proposal." him, laughing: "I know! The Michael Jackson routine was completely over the top, but I just couldn't help myself! Do you think we could convince [the new fiance] to do that at the wedding?"   Fabricating...
The one time strep advanced to scarlet fever, that's exactly what happened with me. There are multiple strains of strep, and the one I picked up that time didn't make me feel nearly as crappy as "regular" strep does, so I didn't get on top of antibiotics until it was apparent that I had scarlet fever. Go figure.
It's probably been beaten to death, but in this case, do the antibiotics. Her gut will heal up again afterward much better than her heart will if she gets rheumatic fever. This is one I wouldn't wait on for anything. I had scarlet fever a few years ago. Aside from the real risk of heart damage, the rash was excruciating. Much worse than poison oak or sunburn. I tried treating it myself with oatmeal baths, homeopathics, topical lotions, etc. They just didn't cut it. I...
We have the opportunity to take in a rescued red-footed tortoise. We babysat -- petsat? -- a red-footed tortoise for a month last year and I really enjoyed the experience. I've been asked if we'd be able to take in a larger (approx. 10- to 15-year-old) tortoise who was hit by a car and I'd love to. Currently we have a 15-year-old cat. He was fine with the last tortoise visitor, so I'm not too worried about adding a tortoise to our family as it currently stands. However,...
I was seen as my mother's mini-me when I was growing up. We got along really well, I idolized her, and physically I resembled her pretty closely. People commented on that a lot. We hit a rough patch when I was in college. It was a combination of me reaching for independence, a touch of empty nest syndrome, and her hitting menopause. There was bitchiness and sarcasm on both sides. We didn't fight or not talk, but we weren't as close as we used to be and we needed to...
My oldest (6 years old) is mature enough to ride safely in a booster, but she's still too small for a booster. She fits in her 5-point Britax fine at 44 pounds and 47 inches. So we're keeping her there for the time being.
Something similar. I was doing a year's study abroad in Paris in college and a friend called and spun this whole elaborate story about a mutual friend having died in an improbable accident while hiking in the woods. Now, this group of friends was pretty good at landing in improbable scenarios, so I didn't twig to the "joke" until well after he said they had freaked out and left the body in the woods when I heard someone giggling in the background. Yeah...it really didn't...
Thanks for the replies. In response to some of the points raised: He's a quirky kid. I'm not sure how to categorize his quirks. He doesn't toe-walk -- he's got variable type SPD, but more sensory seeking than avoiding, and the resulting of all that seeking is that he's got pretty good coordination and balance and strength when he's having a good day. (When he's not, he can turn his head and fall down from just doing that.) He's doing a lot of perseverating right now....