or Connect

Posts by earthmama369

DS is nearly 5 and was diagnosed with SPD a couple years ago. At his well-child visit a few weeks ago, his doctor mentioned that he sent up a couple red flags in his interaction with her and that maybe we should pursue another evaluation. His preschool teachers have also mentioned the same thing in the past couple of weeks. I've been reading up on Asperger's and I'm finding it difficult to separate the sensory symptoms from other aspects of Asperger's because so many...
DS is nearly 5 and diagnosed with SPD. For us, also, there's the possibility of Asperger's on the horizon. We had an OT come to our house for about 7 months last year to work with DS primarily on eating and sleeping issues. She didn't do anything directly with eating or sleeping, because in those situations, he was already in the middle of the full-on sensory swing. For eating, she worked with him on sitting still, using stickers and a timer and a wide variety of games....
I'm on the "it's individual" boat. Both of our kiddos are likely on the gifted spectrum somewhere. Our eldest is 6 and was unschooled -- her way, which meant a lot of field trips, adventures, classes, activities, and playdates -- until a couple months ago, when we enrolled her in first grade at the local public school because of my health issues. I'm not concerned about testing her at this point. The school primarily focuses on reading and writing, neither of which we...
I'd have to join the "put it toward transportation" club. Normally, we'd throw the $5,000 at medical bills and credit card debt (i.e. more medical bills). But my 20-year-old minivan blew a head gasket a couple months ago and dh was hit head-on by an 83-year-old nun a couple weeks ago, totaling our one remaining vehicle. DH is also interviewing for jobs this week, and it looks like he may be getting an offer -- from a business about an hour away. So we're *really* going...
DH and I both enjoy cooking, so we've taken turns throughout our relationship. Really, barring physical barriers or hopeless logistics (like working during all open banking hours), there's nothing that's ever been completely off-limits to either of us. Right now I'm disabled, so dh does most of the cooking and I pitch in when I can. Flexibility seems to be one of the big assets in our relationship.
I was homeschooling, but due to illness, we placed our kids in first grade and preschool a couple of months ago. We printed out a short letter quoting state law and stating that we were claiming a religious exemption under those laws and regulations, signed it, and brought it in when we registered. Neither school batted an eye. It's been fine thus far.
I found that it was much easier the second time around. With my first, I was learning *everything* all at once. It was exhausting and painful and overwhelming and my emotions were all over the place. The second time around, even with a traumatic birth and complications and an SNS for a bit and a tongue tie that wasn't diagnosed for four months, it was still easier. I know that sounds crazy. But just knowing how to hold the baby, being comfortable with the basics of...
Our first received the HiB series while I was finishing my research into vaccines and my family's medical history, and then we stopped vaccinating. Our second hasn't received any vaccines. Overall, I see their potential value, but given my history with vaccines and immunological issues, and not knowing how genetics would play into our children's reactions, we decided not to vax any further. Our doctor agreed with us and actually raised the question when she asked about...
When I started college, they couldn't find my medical records, so I received all of the "required" vaccines for college entry over a two-day period. Within 48 hours, I started throwing up uncontrollably and felt like I had a severe case of the flu. They (the medical center at the college) gave me a shot to knock me out and kept me out for about 12 hours, called it the flu, and sent me on my merry way. I continued to throw up continuously for another 4 months before it...
See, that's not true. If you pull hard enough on a slightly loose tooth, it will come out. I would have a problem with it because a) hello, I'M the parent and b) baby teeth act as place holders for the adult teeth. My daughter has an enamel defect and had extensive dental surgery at age 4. One of the unfortunate results of having her bottom front four teeth pulled at that point is that she didn't have those teeth as place holders for long enough and her bottom front...