or Connect

Posts by earthmama369

Younger grades go by age. We recently transferred our unschooled daughter into public school for a semester or two and the full extent of their evaluation was to ask her age and when her birthday was. Based on her birthday, she was put in first grade. It's still pretty subjective -- in most other towns in our state, her birth date would put her in kindergarten.   Academically, it's turning out to be a reasonably good fit, largely because her previous learning...
Demolitions expert.
Personally, I'd choose to work with animals. I love my kids, and I've worked as a high school teacher before, but I found that while I loved my students, I really wasn't able to handle the politics and structure of the school system. If I were able to get a FT job working as a teacher for a homeschool co-op and could support my family on that, I'd totally go for it, but that's not really realistic. I think a lot of it has to do with personality, too. I'd have a hard time...
This is the first year both kids have really dialed in to the concept of holidays and they're reeeeeally excited about Ostara. I'm excited, too, because we've found a group of local families who are either pagan or pagan-friendly and into celebrating holidays, so we're going to have other kids to play with on Ostara. I'm on the disabled list now, so we've seen a lot of changes this winter. DD started first grade at the public elementary school a bit over a month ago, and...
We invited about 140 people and I think 100-120 showed up. Most of the ones who couldn't come lived pretty far away.
If we didn't have so much medical debt, I'd say $60K would be a comfortable income level for our area. We're in a pretty high COL state and starter homes in most areas are around $200,000.
Former teacher, former homeschooler (hoping to go back to it!), and yeah . . . most homework is pretty useless, imo. According to the school, my first grader should have half an hour of homework four nights a week. Personally, I think that's too much. As it is, she brings home work she didn't have time to finish in school 2-3 times a week and the regular assignments often take her over an hour. She is a perfectionist, I know, and that's playing into the time she spends...
Is it possible to talk with your dh about the habit of saying "let's just buy it while we're here" rather than planning to get specific items at the other store because of cost? I shop similar to the way you do -- certain items from certain stores, because of quality and price -- but whenever dh and I go shopping together, we somehow end up spending way more than we meant to. More on impulse purchases and treats, more on "let's just get it while we're here" type items....
We're on a suburban cul-de-sac with about 7 of the 17 houses on the street having kids living there, various ages. There's no unifying culture on the street. We vaguely know most of the other kids on the street. Two sets of parents keep their kids really close to home and you never see them wandering (ages roughly 5, 9, 11, and 13). They only play in their own yards and don't seem interested in making friends. Others let their kids wander all over, right down to the...
I had scarlet fever when I was pregnant with ds. I had had a mild sore throat -- nothing that felt like strep to me -- and treated it with honey and herbal teas, pregnancy-safe throat lozenges, etc. No fever at all. It went away, but a few weeks later, I got a dry, sandpapery rash all over my body. It was horrid. Itchy and painful. It started at the joints (hips, elbows, wrists) and spread from there. That's pretty common with scarlet fever rashes and can help...