or Connect

Posts by hakeber

I wish we had more people like that in politics.  The world would be a better place.  But  I didn't just mean politics...generally in the realms traditionally reserved for men such as politics, but also law, medicine, finance, academia, science, technology, business...women are generally held to a higher standard of seriousness than men.  I hope that the world continues to be her oyster even if she ever does leave the world of Cheerleading and enter a field more...
I have a similar situation with my son.  Most Mornings we ride with him which helps because I just engage him in conversation and we actively ignore the other kids.  In the afternoons it is not so easy.   They particularly like to tease him about being from Argentina, and say things like Argentina has the ugliest football strip and Argentina's flag is hideous, just to wind him up.  (He was born in Argentina and considers himself Argentine, but we now live in...
A jar of sparkles...that is so easy. Do you have bead store near you, or a Swavorski dealer?     I actually would adore a set of food glitters for my baking supplies. They'd make my cupcakes and cookies extra fun.   :)
ahhhh but if someone chooses the sleek new look, no one disparages them for it, or considers their ideas less important as a result because no one ASSUMES it is a frivolous purchase.  They never question it.  In fact, often quite the contrary, no matter how frivolous it may have been to get it, we assume if it looks spartan, it must be serious and ergo they must be serious too.     The same cannot be said for those people (not just women) who choose sparkles.  Even if I...
As women we are all equally disenfranchised in our society, so in that respect I suppose you're right, but ultimately, I have to say that in my experience, I have been taken much less seriously by all kinds of people when I have been rocking the sparkles and the Hello Kitty (which I LOVE)...so in THAT regard...I'm not sure the pink "girly girls" are equally empowered as those who "play the game" except that well, they CHOOSE it, so in that regard I guess they are.  On the...
  I like the idea.   It is not the reality.  Having been in both the financial business world and international education since I was 21, from my experience women who relish in pretty things, no matter how competent they are, struggle to be heard and considered.  They are patted on the head and treated like morons and even when they prove themselves to be smart it is considered a shock or a surprise that they are also competent and her penchant for pink becomes a joke. ...
There are many fluffy men who have made it into politics without the bat of an eyelid, but that's not the point.    I am glad that you live in an area where there are many young EDUCATED young women and where there is less focus on look andmore focus on being yourself and being proud.  It sounds like you have a good surrounding.   To be clear I want to tell you that A) my ideas don't come from nowhere, or just from anectdoteal evidence.  There have been a number of...
Definitely, and also by the fact that I teach teenagers every day and have close contact with their experiences and their reality and their perspectives. I have a good number of students who see what YOU see.  But far too many don't (In class of 16 girls I would say on average 3 might see themselves as equals, but the vast majority think being beautiful and socially connected is all they really need to be to "succeed" in life).   And yes there are a good number more...
Well that's what I was trying to explain earlier.   I think pink and sparkles are fine, but what they represent, what they have conme to represent in our society today is a plastic culture.  Think Mean Girls The Plastics, and Barbie Girl (life's fantastic, when you're plastic)  these sort images get SO much more air time in our society than the message that one can be sparkly and smart.  Even Legally Blonde which had the intention of showing that side of the sparkles and...
I missed this before...   I cannot speak for your bubble, but we live in Colombia where machismo is alive and well, and where many of my young students still think that women are genetically (yes, even the girls say this) predisposed to subjugation, and after all, men are doing us a favor by taking on the burdensome role of breadwinners and heads of household.  Every day without fail, despite the fact that I have been competently running my department now for two years...